My friend and I are both expert skiers and are planning a trip to Japan in December 2008 until January 2009. We are on somewhat of a budget (especially when it comes to lodging), and are trying to find a place to ski. We are in the early planning stages now and anticipate 20-25 days in Japan. Of those, we think we want to be at a ski area for about 14-17. The remaining time we plan to go to a city and experience Japanese culture and nightlife.

We are interested mainly in powder and potentially backcountry (with a local guide). Neither of us speaks Japanese. We will probably not be able to rent a car (age), so this limits us to places that have reasonably good public transportation, at least to the ski area.

Being young, some sort of nightlife is also appreciated, but incredible powder skiing is the #1 goal of this trip.

We both grew up in Colorado and have skied most everywhere there, done an Austria trip, and a week in Jackson Hole. We love technical skiing with challenges such as cliffs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

If you are on a budget and want to see some sights etc then stick to the Honshu Island. If you are on a super light budget stay on JR east because they have a really cheap rail pass.

There is a great map site called

j-ski.com

Search the honshu resorts and see which peak your interest a bit. In bounds in Japan isnt like the states you have to open your eyes to what is outside of the ropes. Hope that helps a bit.

Sounds like Hakuba's got want you want. --Terrain variety (spread over several resorts), BC options, heaps of snow (though not the driest you've ever skied), and good affordable bilingual accomodations for backpackers (from what I hear). On piste terrain is flat compared to North America but Hakuba's a bit better than a lot of other places in Japan.

Gyes, that is an awesome page Ken linked to.

I am not promoting, but if you want to add places to stay on ur list, talk to Fattwins. He has been really helpful to me, and has a place in Hakuba...

Me personally, I spoke to 3 places before deciding to stay there, and am looking forward to visiting, now, armed with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck with your search..

Yes there are and it is important to both guest to decide what they want.

The reason I like the J-ski site is bcause the map links are the easiest to use. I actually think that they are a bit illegal but I dont think the site was set-up to make money so it has been left alone. Very easy to navigate the maps as that is pretty much all that site has.

Hakuba has pretty dry snow actually and Ive skied dry snow before.

The snowbelts on the Japan Sea get unbelievable amounts of snow -- more than US in most places. Hokkaido is also generally colder too so the snow is dry like Rocky Mt. powder. -population is small too, so lots of serious trekking options. But there's a bias on SJ towards Nagano since most SJers know Nagano much better. There's been a lot of bickering over Nagano vs. Hokkaido but people have become more polite recently. The problem with Hokkaido is that the terrain is flatter. Niseko is immensely popular and has unbelievable powder almost every day (no kidding) but it's not steep and Nagano people get tired of the Niseko mantra. I still think Niseko's arguably a better place to go for early season (Christmas time) snow and I've been there a few times, mainly since that's when I've been able to take vacations, but Nagano's got better terrain, no doubt. Hakuba's really developed with tons of options for accomodation, nightlife, etc, and several big resorts and great BC. Plus, FT pointed out that Hakuba snow can be pretty dry too. -Certainly looks pretty dry in this picture.

Originally Posted By: Kumapix

kumapix_97.jpg

Originally Posted By: ger
The snowbelts on the Japan Sea get unbelievable amounts of snow -- more than US in most places. Hokkaido is also generally colder too so the snow is dry like Rocky Mt. powder. -population is small too, so lots of serious trekking options. But there's a bias on SJ towards Nagano since most SJers know Nagano much better. There's been a lot of bickering over Nagano vs. Hokkaido but people have become more polite recently. The problem with Hokkaido is that the terrain is flatter. Niseko is immensely popular and has unbelievable powder almost every day (no kidding) but it's not steep and Nagano people get tired of the Niseko mantra. I still think Niseko's arguably a better place to go for early season (Christmas time) snow and I've been there a few times, mainly since that's when I've been able to take vacations, but Nagano's got better terrain, no doubt. Hakuba's really developed with tons of options for accomodation, nightlife, etc, and several big resorts and great BC. Plus, FT pointed out that Hakuba snow can be pretty dry too. -Certainly looks pretty dry in this picture.

Ger, good summary. Although I don't think there is a bias on SJ for Nagano, there are certainly more Nagano devotees than Hokkaido devotees. Thank you.

Certainly looks pretty dry in this picture.

Originally Posted By: Kumapix

kumapix_97.jpg

that's me in the picture, it was dry. nice pow in the happo backcountry last season. hokkaido, nagano blah blah... whatever. hakuba is sweet, 14 resorts or something in one valley, nice if you have a car. but there are like a zillion locations to check out in japan. i wanna go check out some small resorts at some point - places in niigata & further north like hakkoda, or hachimantai... or wherever the heck ak used to shred a few years back.