i've been posting some questions about using/buying 2 way radios over on the oz ski.com forum, just wondering what gear you guys use for coms on the mountains in japan and what exactly is legal for use. ive been looking at getting some 2 ways from the USA the midland gxt650 which operates on 22 channels on freq 462.5625 to 462.7250.

would this cause any prob in japan?

The Amateur radio freq in Japan are from 50~54 Mhz, 144~146 Mhz and 430~440 Mhz. Anything that transmits outside that range is illegal, and most probably will get you into trouble.

Around the 462 Mhz freq is the Disaster Emergency Radio freq in Japan...

You can find the freq chart here:

http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/e/search/myuse/use0303/

Which comes from the Telecommunications Bureau of the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. Cant get any more official than that. crazy.gif

http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/e/index.htm

If you are going to buy radios buy quality not junk. The signal can not go over the mountains if the radios are crap.

Most Radios from the states are illegal in Japan That does not stop people from using them though. Many of the aussies on vacation here use them as do the NA folks. Dont use them around patrollers as they will get pissed. You will pick up patrol radios and just about every other person on the mountain.

I guess you can see a pattern that im not a radio fan on the Mountain.

Just to clarify something, it is a Myth that ALL American made radios are illegal. The amateur freq in the US are partially overlapping with the Japanese ones. The amateur VHF freq range is the same to both countries 50~54 Mhz, the difference is in UHF. It is the same for the 144~146 Mhz part, but the Americans have a wider range for the higher frequencies, from 420~450 Mhz. Also the 462 freq that is reserved for low power radios in the states, is given to the Disaster Prevention Emergency Broadcast system. So although low power radios are “legal” in Japan, they transmit in a different range, I think around 140 Mhz.

Now, even if you get a 5 or 10 watt American made radio, you won’t have problems if you transmit inside the freq range that overlaps with the Japanese amateur.

If you get a low power 0.5 watt American made radio that transmits in the 462 Mhz, you will have problems because that freq is reserved for an other purpose in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
If you are going to buy radios buy quality not junk. The signal can not go over the mountains if the radios are crap.

Most Radios from the states are illegal in Japan That does not stop people from using them though. Many of the aussies on vacation here use them as do the NA folks. Dont use them around patrollers as they will get pissed. You will pick up patrol radios and just about every other person on the mountain.

I guess you can see a pattern that im not a radio fan on the Mountain.

so how do you communicate on the mountain? i dont WANT to interfere with anybody...i also dont want to be ripped off buying these things in oz.

The old fashion way like 4 years ago, I communicate with a time schedule. I know what you are driving at though and renting phones is too expensive. Just remember that there are about 100 of you using the same radios at the same time so expect low battery and "oh my god shut up all ready"!

"betty, betty are you there oh betty betty BETTY BETTY",

"Im here"!

"are the radios working"

"BETTY betty"

etc

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a walky talky and 2 way radio. We have used some cheap ones over there and I've never heard anyone else other than ourselves talking.

They have worked OK in some situations but useless in others. It doesnt take long to work out where you can use them.

I saw a guy down here this winter who had one with a remote mic clipped on his shoulder. looked like a good idea. No need to fish it out of your pocket

Originally Posted By: Foxpuppet
so how do you communicate on the mountain? i dont WANT to interfere with anybody...i also dont want to be ripped off buying these things in oz.

If you are comming to Japan this winter you can get a set in Tokyo, its dirt cheap here.
Do you have any idea whats the amateur freq in Oz and what freq is registered for the low power radios?

yeah thats a great idea, but would they have models based on english? i'd hate to get there and not find anything. we have agroup of 8 and this idea of radios was kind of integral to our getting in touch with each other around the hill/village, really need something and i dont want to use mobiles..too $$$$ high

The manuals will be in Japanese, but you might be able to download the english version from the internet (I was not able to do that for mine). You can download manuals at least for "icom" radios probably for other international makers too.

PS: you dont need 8 units, just 2. One for the first and one for the last guy in the group.

Originally Posted By: Foxpuppet
yeah thats a great idea, but would they have models based on english? i'd hate to get there and not find anything. we have agroup of 8 and this idea of radios was kind of integral to our getting in touch with each other around the hill/village, really need something and i dont want to use mobiles..too $$$$ high

Dunno, maybe some only tranmit in Japanese. You'd better ask the shop. But make sure you find a shop with an English speaker.
 Originally Posted By: thursday
maybe some only tranmit in Japanese.

What do you mean by that Tday? confused.gif
If you get one that covers 1 or 2 of the amateur band freqs, you will be able to use it in the US too. Still dont know what are the amateur bands in OZ, so cant say about that.