Kerry and Koji from sweet riders put on a sick little MTB event this past weekend. It was super fun and I got to ride with some pretty good riders. I improved about 100% I think. AK77 and Stemik were there holding down the fort for team SJ. AK got a little greedy and tried to keep winning prizes even though they told just one prize. I think he walked away with 2 or 3.

The lake view on the first day was killer.

n890405050_1256766_4315.jpg

Chris showing us how to ride.

n890405050_1256774_6809.jpg

The greedy bugger on a feature

n890405050_1256798_4469.jpg

The greedy bugger poping the wall ride.

n890405050_1256799_4808.jpg

The greedy bugger playing on my favorite feature

n890405050_1256803_6152.jpg

FT the rookie enjoying a wall ride

n890405050_1268557_2012.jpg

James Droping I focused on the lake knowing that I wouldnt get a clear shot of james going that fast.

n890405050_1268564_3787.jpg

Chris ripping the berm at the bottom

n890405050_1268568_4818.jpg

My riding partner 80% of the time on normal days Stemik

n890405050_1268570_5333.jpg

The french Chef Yanik

n890405050_1268572_5856.jpg

The Jam stage with Kerry tucked into the righ corner

n890405050_1268574_6396.jpg

The only bad thing about the weekend is that I lost another pair of good sun glasses. If anyone found a pair of smiths can you send them to me.

Good guys can flash the course in about 7 mins Id say but an average of 15 minutes. I did about 35 laps over 2 days. For music and food I spent 4000 yen total. Koji refilled my brake fluid for nothing props Koji! that crash nearly put a stick into my chest. So I spent about 110 yen per lap which is freaking good value. Sweet riders also gave out about 100 prizes so everyone got something worth more than their entry. I got an Oakley hat which I didnt like so I gave it away but an Oakey hat aint cheap even if you dont like it! lol.

I have more info and pics on my facebook page or my blog. I cant post those here so for those that know you can check there.

FT - nice pics! Everyone was flying down, and Chris is a seriously ripping rider.(I removed the tag on the facebook pic - it wasn't me!)

Sunrise - The drummers are really good - they are called Sabunyuma and they play quite often at events in Hakuba, and one them does a workshop in Matsumoto sometimes too.

FT - I won one prize in the janken (a hoody, yay! - a girls one, but on me, no problem!)...and I only jankened again, cos sometimes they said "Ok these prizes are for those who haven't won anywthing yet" - meaning other times some of the other things were up for everyone to janken for....

As for the 'second prize'...I didn't ask Yannik for the tyre.. he just turned round and said "do you want it?". As I won 1 tyre last year, of course I said yes! A pair compared with one makes a whole lot of sense to me!

Not exactly greedy! I could give it to you... if you really need it that bad (for your cross country bike, i presume, as it's a 190 wide cross country, so would suck on downhill) then maybe... but you told me earlier in the day you were getting 1000 dollars of parts for free!

Originally Posted By: sunrise
kool, was the drumming group any good? Nice to see a bunch of djembes up there.

sunrise, there was a good jam going on at a beach party in Kobe over the summer plus didgeridoo's too. They were former businessmen from Okinawa who quit their jobs to become enlightened...thats what they said at least!!

FT - the Aokiko staff had a pair of silver Smiths, in their registration forms box at the end of the day (this greedy bugger spent 2 hours helping pack up the event) so they should still have them - when i saw them I asked around, but none of the remaining people knew whose they were.

Maybe you can pass by on your way from work... I think there will be people there today.

Relax greedy bastard i was only joking with you. I dont need or want the skinny tire as I need a 21 or 22 I think (have to check). For one more time I was Joking AK I, If was pissed I wouldnt have posted your pics. Skype me tonight and Ill send you the raw files of you riding. The best one is your little air turn that was pretty sweet.

Im more angry at myself for loosing my glasses really, I cant believe I did that again.

AK come down for a ride if you want over the 4 day hols. We go early so you still have a ton of time left in the day to do what you want to do.

The miss tag was the other guy Andrew.

Ill head to the resort after work thanks.

Hey - no worries, I haven't taken offence! I'm just defending my reputation among those who might not realise you were not 100 percent serious!

Thanks for putting up the report and pics... are there really this few mtb riders, serious or casual, on these pages?

Anyway, it was good event - and diving into the lake for a swim at the end of each day was perfect! It is colder now, but still refreshing!

there are a few trails at the top and basically can choose more technical over more flowing. I would say it would suit a more intermediate rider....

for beginners there are numerous forest roads all around the valley.

Yeah, I'm more beginner/intermediate, on some features my confidence vanishes and I shite it big time!! I used to take a group of kids MTBing (along with a qualified instructor) and I loved it, but had some pretty major falls down some steep slopes, ripping trousers and hurting feet etc etc, much to the merriment of the kids that was with me!!! \:\) Still had a great time though, just now I'm wary of very steep slopes where I have to work the brake, with not much of a run off. Also tried a box jump on my first venture down to Glentress, though it looked well easy, so down I go as fast as I can, right up the jump, then just as it goes vertical I realise that I have no idea what I'm doing, I come clean off my bike, just managing to hang onto the handle bars in no more, somehow manage to pull the bike back under me and land on the top of the box, just avoiding a meeting of balls and frame. It must've looked like I meant to come off and pull myself back on, but it was total fluke that I managed to land in one piece!! lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
I dont think we have many mountain bikers here

Here's one!

Quite interesting seeing what is going on there insofar as bikepark features go.

Does anyone know if there's anything like "Snow Japan", but for MTB? I'd crate up the Ellsworth and bring it over in Summer if I knew where some good XC/FR trails were...

The courses at Aokiko are very much technical freeride (in the harder places) rather than fast downhill.

There is an are of 'features' - log rides, bridges high and low - half way down that you can stop and play in.

Best of all, it costs about 200yen per uplift - so great value for a summer or autumn weekend - you can camp by the lake (campsite) and swim in the lake.

As FT and Stemik say, there are forest tracks and paths for beginners in Hakuba too, and more steep downhill too.

"An Austrian man has set a new world record by riding his mountain bike at more than 130mph down the side of a mountain.

Markus Stoeckl sets downhill cycling records

Markus Stoeckl, 33, used a slope at a Chilean ski resort for his successful record attempt.

During practice runs down the 45-degree slope his helmet visor kept steaming up.

As if travelling down the side of a mountain wasn't hard enough, he was forced to hold his breath for the 40-second duration of the run.

The maximum speed he reached was 130.7mph - over 14mph faster than the previous downhill mountain biking record."

Take that!