Originally Posted By: thursday
why don't people believe England can go all the way now? More a possibility than a probability.

People hear are shell-shocked. How could a side that has really not done too well for almost 4 years now, come out and play the way they did. Especially since they went down to SA 30-0 in a pool match! I tend to think it was a one off great performance.

But then again, basically England can beat anyone, all they have to do is get Johny 10 meters inside the oppositions half.

Interesting comment about their win over Australia from Johny here

However, the Newcastle fly-half spared a thought for Stirling Mortlock, who had a chance to win it right at the death for Australia.

Wilkinson added: "For all that, there was one moment over which we had no control - Stirling Mortlock's penalty attempt in the 78th minute.

"I saw that kick again on a replay that night and I can tell you, it was a damned fine kick. With the balls flying the way they are he has real sympathy from me there, that is for certain.
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I wouldn't be too upset if the England went all the way and won the cup.(did i really just say that) The lads kept a pretty cool head about there last world cup win, and 2 world cup victories would cement their place as a global rugby superpower.

That said, I really don't like their style of play. Who wants to watch one guy kicking goals all day? Boring. ;\)

I'm gonna stoke the fire a bit here...

From the Sydney Morning Hreald (actually pulled from the Telegraph, London)

Quote:
... There is extraordinary arrogance and pettiness over their commercially driven haka, as though they are the only nation on earth allowed to express their individuality. So, too, the pompous assumption that they always know better than the lawmakers and referees. Unbelievable. Have a flick through a law book, guys, take an honest look at the match tapes and see just how much the All Blacks get away with.

They raid the Pacific Islands to replenish their playing stocks, but have the All Blacks ever played a full international at Apia against Samoa by way of encouragement? Or even thanked them? The truth is that New Zealand are terrified Samoa, Fiji and Tonga will get their act together and become competitive teams who can hang on to their stars. On the evidence of France 2007, their worst nightmares could soon come true. ...

OK. Semi finals are on. The formbook says the final will be between France and South Africa, but the formbook was spectacularly wrong in the quarters. I'm very happy with my pick of France as the dark horse. I still think they can do it.

Whatever, it's going to be rucks, mauls and kicking, and the winners will have to bring their best games to the park.

Let's rugger.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig

Quote:
... There is extraordinary arrogance and pettiness over their commercially driven haka, as though they are the only nation on earth allowed to express their individuality. So, too, the pompous assumption that they always know better than the lawmakers and referees. Unbelievable. Have a flick through a law book, guys, take an honest look at the match tapes and see just how much the All Blacks get away with.

They raid the Pacific Islands to replenish their playing stocks, but have the All Blacks ever played a full international at Apia against Samoa by way of encouragement? Or even thanked them? The truth is that New Zealand are terrified Samoa, Fiji and Tonga will get their act together and become competitive teams who can hang on to their stars. On the evidence of France 2007, their worst nightmares could soon come true. ...

Not much fire there BP..
I've often wondered why they are allowed to do the Haka before kick off. Not to disrespect the maori culture, but surely it would be better suited to half time entertainment.
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig

Quote:

Not much fire there BP..
I've often wondered why they are allowed to do the Haka before kick off. Not to disrespect the maori culture, but surely it would be better suited to half time entertainment.

Isn't the Haka part of an old Maori war dance, done to try and intimidate the opposite "army" before a battle?

I think France will feel hard done by, they looked the better team. They looked so strong when running with the ball, couldnt understand why they kept going for kicks.

However Wilko had several kicks just skim the post so I guess we could have won by 9 points more on a different day.

There's a great piece by David Kirk in the Torygraph:

"England's approach to the World Cup has made a mockery of the meticulous and detailed preparation which teams like the All Blacks and the Wallabies have undertaken. England came into this World Cup with no settled team, virtually no world-class players, poor form, no clear game-plan and, as far and I and most other observers were concerned, no hope. They have shown that none of this matters if you are big and try hard. It is not quite as simple as that, but it is not far wrong."

Would they have made it this far without Wilko?

Are they a better team or do they just have a better goal kicker?

They play and win by the rules, so good on them. It's the rules that stink. Why reward a team with 60% of the point from only 10% of the effort? That's why I'm a league fan. (Plus the actual playing time is twice as much.)

Try =4 points

Penalty goal =2 points

Field goal =1 point

Australia just thumped New Zealand 58-0 in a league test match. That should tell you where the Rugby talent (and public interest) is in this country.

Whinge over!

Mantas the rest of that story had a little more to it. I was just trying to point out to SG that NZ has this image of all Aus sportsmen being somehow arrogant and/or cheats (underarm incident), but that they are not the saints they like to see themselves as.

As for the kicking game that England is employing. I think the best thing would be for them to beat the Boks, just so that the points system comes under more intense scrutiny. It's ridiculous that a team can win the world cup without scoring many tries at all, and just kicking. What boring bollocks!