I'm going for a snowboarding trip over New Year, originally I'd planned Niseko but financial constraints have meant shelving that idea. I really fancy both hakuba and Nozawa Onsen for the boarding but since its New Year I want there to be decent bars/ places to drink that aren't gonna be quiet. I don't need clubs, just busy lively bars/ izekaya's where there is a good atmosphere. I'm at the mercy of the SJF Gods!! \:D

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
No dilemma there, Nozawa has absolutely NO nightlife. Your only viable option is Hakuba or Knisiko.

Originally Posted By: thursday
New year is over rated.

i concur

We had a great night in Echoland in Hakuba last year. All the bars and restaurants did well and everybody headed to Q Tips for the countdown which was packed(maybe 300 people) . I would say get there around 11. Drop in and say G'day when your in town.

TB you should try to get up here (hakuba) in autummn and bring your bike...I have "found" some nice trails to ride - not too unlike 7 stanes..

TBH stemik I'd love to move up there permanently, but the gf doesn't want to leave her home town,............ yet. ;\) Also I wanna learn more nihongo before I move nearer the mountains, I'd imagine its a lot easier, you can get away with poor j-skills when you live near to Tokyo. I have been reading a bit about the MTBing, I would love to get some in before it gets snowed out.

Just hop on the train and come up. Im always looking for painters for my place ill trade a day of work for a few hours of painting.

The problem in Hakuba is not language the problem in hakuba is finding good work if you need to work. There are lots of seasonal jobs but nothing 9 to 5 360 really.

biggest cities are Nagano about 40mins away and Matsumoto about 1 hour away.

Not too sure on "good" bike rental prices - let me ask the wife and get back to you.

You should take up FT's offer - he's about 300 yards down the road then we ride and get gently sloshed in the evening.

Originally Posted By: stemik
TB you should try to get up here (hakuba) in autummn and bring your bike...I have "found" some nice trails to ride - not too unlike 7 stanes..

I saw a tanuki a couple of days ago and a fox yesterday.
 Originally Posted By: stemik
biggest cities are Nagano about 40mins away and Matsumoto about 1 hour away.
Not too sure on "good" bike rental prices - let me ask the wife and get back to you.
You should take up FT's offer - he's about 300 yards down the road then we ride and get gently sloshed in the evening.

I'll join you for the slosh part \:\)