Originally Posted By: thursday
Don't get me STARTED on BALI!

I waited for 20 minutes without moving. So did the only decent thing I could. I walked over to the local and visa exempt queue. Put US$10 in my passport and gave it to the immgration officer. He said he'd get the visa for me so I gave him the fee. It took me 5 mins to get through.

Yes the special fee system, used it a few times myself over there. I once asked a policeman if he would pay my traffic infringement fine for me if I gave the money directly to him. Which he kindly did.
So obliging aren't they.
 Originally Posted By: Journey Man
Mt Ruapehu is a bit of a special case because of the huge rocks - it needs about 1.6m to even operate! It is a lot better now than it was due to the use of snow cannons.

Why is that JM?

It is a really rocky landscape and there are always some "problem" rocks that are in high traffic areas and get uncovered easily. With the advent of the snow cannons the problem areas can be kept covered. This is especially true of the lower mountain - there is an area in Whakapapa called "The Rock Garden" where in places the main trail isn't that wide but gets nearly all the traffic.

Apparently snow making has allowed the season to be significantly longer.

I used to live in Auckland so Ruapehu was the nearest mountain. I usually skied Whakapapa and occasionally Turoa.

As to which is better, I'll go for Whakapapa, but it's fair to say it is a subject of ongoing holy wars... ;\)

For my money Whakapapa is the best field in the country when the snow and weather are on. However this almost never happens, in particular the weather. If you look here you can see that the mountain stands by itself and because of this catches all the weather going, and is hard to predict. If you ski every weekend you can expect to loose a day to wind every couple of weekends.