313210.jpg

you know its bad when a resort website is advising people to "pray to the snow gods".

"Despite being two-thirds of the way through winter, none of the smaller Canterbury club fields are open and the two main commercial fields, Mount Hutt and Porters Ski Area, are getting by on artificial snow."

the smaller club fields are Temple Basin, Craigeburn, Olympus, Broken River. Cheeseman.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4146296a11.html

I thought wrong... just checked their web site, and they're working on a 68cm base, and boasting of 5-7cm fresh overnight. Sorry if anyone had booked flights based on my last post...

I've been wanting to for a long time, and we almost had the trip booked in 2005, but logistics became a problem (and we ended up in NZ instead), and now with a 1 year old and another on the way, we will have to wait a few years more before we try again. Japan is a piece of cake to get to, by comparison.

I don't see it as being any more expensive that travelling to Canada or the US to ski, stemik. One long-haul flight, a bus, hotel room, lift tickets, etc. Might even be cheaper in Chile than Colorado, say.

plus it's something different.

the french canadians that were staying at FT's place last winter (simon and yannick) spent a season there. they had a vid, but it just looked kind of spring like the whole time. didn't seem like they copped alot of consistent snow. i'm sure every season is different though (as we have all seen in japan over the past few years)

I dont think so. I think Lan Chile do a direct flight with a stop on Easter island.

I never skied there myself, but my mate did , he said it was good, last year I did a back country tour in BC Canada with some cashed up Argentinians, They go to Whistler for their ski holidays, that should tell you something. From what I gather, the mountains are awesome but the snows hit and miss.

From Oz, Lan Chile fly via Auckland to Santiago (that was the flight we had booked). No worse than the Honolulu stopover on the way to LAX, as far as I can see. No need to go via US, unless your fussy about the airlines you travel with.

Same thing in Honolulu. What used to be a no-hassle transfer from the arrivals back up to the departure gate with a passport/ticket check, suddenly became a bus trip to immigration, security scan, re-check-in, another bus transfer back to the gate, only so the plane could refuel for the forward leg to Vancouver. All at 1 a.m.! Never doing that again.

Don't get me STARTED on BALI!

"Visa on arrival" they touted, but they didn't tell you the visa queue would be 600 long cos all the flights come in at the same time and WE ALL NEED VISAS.

I waited for 20 minutes without moving. So did the only decent thing I could. I walked over to the local and visa exempt queue. Put US$10 in my passport and gave it to the immgration officer. He said he'd get the visa for me so I gave him the fee. It took me 5 mins to get through.

The poor sods in the visa queue are still there I think.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I think Lan Chile do a direct flight with a stop on Easter island.

yep, and you can stop on easter island for a few days if you want too. i haven't been, but a bloke at work did it. the pics looks pretty ace - statues with heads almost as large as my massive noggin