Have you lost your regional accent since you have been here? And can people back in your own country or other gaijin here from the same country tell where you are from?

I don't think I ever had a strong accent that pinpointed me down to Avon, UK but people now when I go back say I have a much more generic (cheers!) accent - just sound "more southern than northern"!

mine has become a bit less okker but I don't think I was ever specifically West Aussie in sound... When I first arrived in Japan many people, including some other Aussies, told me that I had quite a thick Aussie accent.

I grew up in the midlands, but I never had a strong regional accent as my parents came from the home counties. There are one or two giveaways, such as pronouncing "pasty" with a short vowel.

What does amuse me is hearing my accent coming back from my students. Sometimes when they speak I think "that sounds sooo English". lol.gif

I've a strong scottish accent and Americans (and Japanese) have problems understanding me, which gets right on yer tits after a couple of pints. I obviously talk a little different in class, so the kids can understand, but I think its funny too when you hear your accent or vowel sounds when they speak back to you. hahaha, I corrupted all these kids in their effort to speak english, they'll be well received in Scotland though!!!

hahaha

When I was driving trucks I used to love going up to Scotland. There are some fantastic roads in the borders. You were never alone in the pub in Glasgow. Edinburgh, you'd die of thirst before anyone spoke.

Not at all. I'm a very quiet type, but I don't mind paying for my round. Nevertheless, I never spent a night in a Glasgow pub without without some crack. I never spoke to anyone except the bar staff in Edinburgh.

BP, trucking alone as a single male is different from being a couple on holiday.

Not a criticism, a personal observation.

Having to park a 32 tonne truck and walk to the pub tends to preclude some cosy inner city spot. The pubs where I was drinking weren't neccesarily the places you would choose to take your girl.

No complaints about Scotland. I've had some of the best times of my life there.

fair enough about the places you frequented soub, but I was there with a mate from my masters course, not with BPG. In any case, alone in less inner-city pubs is no doubt a different story. And, I was only there two nights, so not necessarily representative at all.