Alright, so who here enjoys snorkelling or diving? I'm pretty sure a lot of us do, considering the outdoor types that hang around here.

Yesterday BPG and I went for a surf up to Shimane on the Sea of Japan, but as I had expected there were no waves. Luckily for us, I had also packed our snorkel gear. So we found a nice section of rocky coastline, and went in. I was really surprised by some of the fish that were there. There were these little yellow fellas with black stripes who were really inquisitive and kept gathering in front of us. Was very cool. Might get some pics up a bit later.

Anyway, anyone have any good stories and/or pics from snorkelling or diving? Any recommendations for good spots in Japan?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like snorkelling. i dig the whole underwater world down there. i'm too lazy and claustrophobic to get into scuba, but i love putting on a mask and having a swim around. the colourful tropical fish are the best.

i'll fish around for a few pics and put some up later

Seriously. A bag of frozen peas. the clerk laughed at me. I smiled. we were completely surrounded by fish. It was awesome, until the little pricks figured out where the peas were coming from.

we even went back the next day and I swear to god the same fish followed me. then I saw the sign.., don't feed the fish.

On my very first day in Hawaii, we rented some really nice stuff, went to the beach. and I was standing in the water, knee-deep, putting on my fins, and this guy goes; "you guys wanna see a turtle? look down." It was right at our feet. My wife and I followed it for about an hour. It was about a meter long... huge. It was amazing. By far the most fun I had ever had in the water.

Everyday, I just wanted to go snorkeling. I couldn't get enough of it.

watching my dad and his twin brother bodyboard was also pretty fricking amazing. Two retired, big, white guys on bodyboards laughing their asses off. That was worth the whole trip right there... that day at the beach.

The next day, ako and I got married at the oldest church in Maui... made of sea coral. We even went snorkeling on our wedding day while our moms stared on from teh beach... don't get sunburned today! Hurry up... we have to go.

If you like diving, Japan has some great spots with lots of endemic species.

Near Tokyo, you can try yawatano (lots of tora utsubo etc...) and Mikomoto which is very near a famous beach spot in Izu and has lots of hammerhead sharks and a few tiger sharks as well. Beware of the current though.

Not so sure about snorkeling .

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
If you like diving, Japan has some great spots with lots of endemic species.
Near Tokyo, you can try yawatano (lots of tora utsubo etc...) and Mikomoto which is very near a famous beach spot in Izu and has lots of hammerhead sharks and a few tiger sharks as well. Beware of the current though.
Not so sure about snorkeling .

Ako and I were thinking of getting into diving after our hawaii experience with snorkeling.

Maybe... someday...

The fish in Hawaii sound like the monkeys I've encountered on Shikoku.

Some very good spots for diving and snorkelling in Kochi, esp. Kashiwa-jima / Otsuki-cho. Love that area.

We were going to go down to Okinawa this summer but something came up so that trip will have to wait.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
that sounds a bit dangerous Serreche. Hammerheads AND tigers? eek.gif

The sharks are not dangerous as long as you are diving in a group. Many people actually go there every year during the season just to encounter the sharks. You can actually see large schools of hammerhead sharks there if you're lucky. Tiger encounters are very rare and annecdotal although I have heard it from a few people. I have never heard of shark attacks there, but I know of a few incidents where divers have been taken by the current and were never found again. Now, if you are drifting at sea, bobbling at the surface for a few hours, I am fairly certain you will attract unwanted attention from the very same fellows you wanted to see in the first place...