saw two runaway boards on sunday.

that is some scary shit.

scarier was the inaction of people on the slopes.

the second board i saw must have slid passed 10 people by the time i (seated) noticed it. so i shouted 'abunai' loudly and repeatededly as slid passed another group standing below. it then hit a bank and slowed to an almost stop about 100m away, but no one helped to retrieve it despite numerous people being close by.

it then continued its bust for freedom and slammed into the snowboard of a resting boarder, who hadn't even noticed it approaching. fortunately this person was on her knees facing up slope.

it seeemed almost noone else was willing to provide warning. and if they were a single shout was sufficient.

in fairness, a couple of people had tried to stop the first board i saw. but it was n a far less dangerous stituation on an unpopulated slope, with noone in apparent danger. but the second one was scary.

Mikazooki,

I totally agree. For a country that prides itself with safety you would think they would do a leash check before allowing you on the lift. Some resorts in the U.S. used to do that.

The best runaway board story I have occurred at Dynaland last season. Some local dude with orange hair was bragging to his buddies how he was boarding with boot laces loose (duh!). Next thing I saw was a runaway board with the boots still in the bindings. Fortunately it didn't hit anybody.

The things I see here on slopes just amaze me. Two weeks ago at Ciao Ontake I saw a father carrying his baby in his arms while skiing down the hill. What would happen if the father biffed it? Surprised the resorts let that stuff happen.

Scary!

Over here you won't be allowed on a chairlift if you don't have a leash on your board. And yes they do check to make sure you have them.

I forgot mine once and had to go and buy another on the slopes which was about 4 times the price you would pay elsewhere.

It helps prevent runaway boards but obviously doesn't stop them completely. Even it stops one runaway board its worth it.

just pretend it's not there...runaway snowboard? what run away snowboard?

This seems to be the prevailing attitude in japan. don't get involved and nobody will blame u. blame avoidance...blame avoidance...i've seen a few runaway boards here and there. one hit my friend. The owner came down and tried to laugh it off. he was okay about it when he should have been really pissed.

leases are fashion accessories here in japan when they should be required. man, i mean, i get told to put my high back down everytime i get on the lift, how much more effort can it be to enforce leashes on the hill? i agree with everybody else here, ski resort staff here are just too lax.

One of those boards might have been mine. I've been neglecting my snowboard recently, and it may have got out and headed north. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I'll make sure the garage door is shut fully at night. My apologies.