Japanese management hierarchy doesn't quite translate as domestic organizations are structured differently. This is sort of how it goes (starting from lowest level of management):

Tanto (a person 'in charge" of something)

Kakari cho (section manager or junior manager or assistant manager)

Katcho (managers several sections)

Bucho (Division manager or Division chief)

Satcho (Company General Manager, President, CEO etc)

I may be wrong but I think in a smaller company something like kakaricho might carry more 'weight'. A company I have contact with has kakari-cho, then kacho and then the owner as the management structure... one of each.

Maybe the best explanation I have heard is this: a Kakari cho/ Kacho is someone who does most of the work, gets all of the blame and none of the credit...

Its really at the bucho level where real individual responsibility lies and management decisions are made (with or without "consensus"). A lower management title does mean that the person is on management track but the responsibilities that person hold will vary greatly from company to company. Size, age of the person and the overall management structure have to be taken into account.

One of my major client companies here is actually run by the President's secretary/mistress - everyone who knows the company knows it but no one would ever say it.