The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last Division 1 game I went to, mighty Norwich beat ManU 4-0. The second most entertaining thing after ManU getting stuffed, was was a ManU troll falling through the roof of the stand. He landed on his head, so no possible damage there.

My mother's family are from East Anglia, and I lived in Norfolk for many years. Also, I did my first degree at UEA.

That was in the early '80s. ManU were in the doldrums, and their travelling supporters were a bunch of thugs.

Ahem, excuse us Soubs.

I went to an Ipswich game from London, on a train full of the ManU. We stood in the ManU enclosure behind the goal, and it was just the most terrifying thing a 14 year old could do.

A ball got kicked into our enclosure, and as the police (<--- I am trying to ge used to this word) came in to retrieve the ball..., well, just to say, I have never witnessed a storm of spit, as intense as heavy rain drop on the police and anyone else near them.

It was a rubbish 0-0 draw and we went quickly home ASAP afterwards. The mother of our "ringleader" went apeshit when she heard we had gone to a ManU game.

Yes its totally different now.

When I was around 13 I lived opposite Highbury and used to go to loads of games, sometimes I'd pay (junior gunner discount) but most times I just went in when they opened the gate for early leavers (about 15mins into second half). The atmosphere was just amazing in the north bank back then, your ears would hurt from everyone chanting at the top of their voice. Football really lost something (as a live spectacle) when it went all seater - they really need to get standing room going again by limiting it to a small section behind the goal and actually policing it properly).

Millwall were the scum, but ManU were followed by thugs in a way that the other NW teams were not.

An early football memory is watching Coventry beat Vanilla 2-0 at home for the Div II championship in about 1968. Coventry managed to fit 42,000 into a stadium maxed at 38,000 by dint of standing everyone right up to the touchline. Each time we scored, there was a pitch eruption. But there was No Trouble.

I see England won. Yipeee!

It's the big derby game this weekend.

What you reckon, City fans will be silent during the 1 minute silence at the beginning??

Lets hope so, though you can't expect too much from Manchester City fans.

This is a worry

Quote:
Liverpool striker Fernando Torres lasted just 23 minutes of Spain's 1-0 friendly victory over France before being forced off with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

Although the 23-year-old went off in some discomfort it was not immediately obvious when Torres sustained the problem.

Those 2 games will be worth a watch this weekend.

Our game against Sunderland would be if only they broadcast it. Anyway soon a Wigan vs Sunderland game might be played in Saitama, you never know......

I'm looking forward to the games as well, but I hope they aren't a huge let down, like these hyped games usually are. I want a good 6-5 game in favour of Liverpool, with 2 men sent off per team and the managers brawling on the sidelines!!!! \:D

haha, yeah Soubs...actually if its gonna be them maggots I'd prefer a 22 man brawl where they are all suspended for life and the board of each team is taken out and thrashed!! ;\)

Well cable, but yeah on J-sports.

They did. The wrong ones. But they were quiet for a minute which was good. Then they totally outplayed us, and United played terrible. I was expecting much more. We're in a bit of a slump. \:\(