Well I am heading back with the family from 27 Dec 2007 to 17 Jan 2008 and staying at the same place as last year about 5 km out of Higashiyama, nice and peacefull

I am hiring a car this year now I know the area and am intrested in traveling to other resorts not frequented much by the hordes at Niseko as well as other attractions and places of interest.

We generally ski 2 out of 3 days and do something different the other.

Any sugestions like is Hell Valley worth seeing and can you get to Mt Usu (Sobetsu in winter. Are the resorts I see on my map like La Ponte worth a trip to etc

ASB definitely head out to Rusutsu it's about a 45 min drive in winter. Check out Mt Moiwa as well for a day, it's much closer being just beyond the Annupuri ski area. A bit over an hour away is Kiroro which looks ok if you're not looking for any extreme terrain. For other trips I would suggest a day down at Lake Toya. It's quite spectacular in winter and there is a cable car up the active volcano Usuzan with great views down to the lake and to the Sea of Japan. Otaru is a great town to visit with good food and plenty to see and do. With the car you can check out some of the onsens in the area that will have few if any foreigners. I suggest Goshiki onsen for it's awesome location between Mt Annupuri and Iwainopuri (sp?). If you hire some snowshoes you can head over to Lake Hangetsu at the base of Mt Youtei and walk across it's frozen surface which is pretty cool. Anyway there's lots and lots you can do. Let me know if you want more info on any of the above.

Sapporo Kokusai is one place you could visit and I also hear good things about Teine Highland but I have been told it has to fill in a bit for the main action to get good so you may be a wee bit early. Both of those places are weekday only trips. If its a fine day with little wind and you are up for a hike try Rankoshi-Cho Chisenupuri. For a bit of a laugh you could go to Niseko Weiss and try the cat skiing but I have to warn you it is flat as and not much fun if there is a lot of fresh.

Kiroro's promo video actually turned me off visiting the place! All it showed was guys bombing down the run then going off to the side and doing one BIG turn and then losing all their momentum....I don't think I saw one linked turn turn in the whole vid, it really gave me the impression that it was flat.

If by some off chance the snow is really crap and its raining and you just want to do some turns and maybe hit the park Nakayamatoge can be worth a try, its base is at about 900m IIRC and rarely sees rain.

Hope that helps.

Just a note of follow up ASB, your map showing La Ponte must be pretty old as it's now known as Moiwa. Definitely worth a day there. I'm not sure where Hell Valley is. Halfmachine's idea of Chisenupuri is a good one but it is quite a strenuous climb to the summit. It only takes about an hour and is definitely worth it if you're up to it. Also a drive around the coast from Iwanai to Otaru going by Kamui and Shakotan Peninsulas is awesome. I'm still amazed at the sight of snow right to sea level. Anyway as you can see there's plenty to do.

G.N. has really good advice. Id also recommend picking up a copy of "Niseko Express." Its all in Japanese but has great information on all the onsens in the area. Many "konyoku" (mixed-baths) up there, mud onsens, and outdoor onsens with great views. That magazine should have it...and since G.N. is still up there maybe (he?) can say if they still put it out? My hotel used to get it monthly...Car definitely is the best way to go!

Originally Posted By: thursday
Can you time it later to coincide with the Sapporo Ice Festival?

Unfortunatly I can only go during School Holidays, I would love to see the Saporro Snow Festival.

Great sugestions so far thanks, this is my third trip to Japan and one thing I do love is getting away from all the aussies, we did a trip to Kyoto, Hirosyma etc last year and a trip up to Takayama which I loved and the highlight was staying on Miyajima Island off Hiroshima.

Would love to buy a place in the snowfields so I could do summer trips as well.

ASB, "Hell Valley" (Jigokudani) is only worth seeing if you are really into onsen (hot springs), as it is a side-attraction to Noboribetsu Onsen. There is a nearby ski field, Sanraiba in adjacent Karurusu Onsen (about a 15-20 minute drive) which should be open at that time of year. Sanraiba is really small with only 2 lifts, but supposedly the snow is nice. Been to the area over half-a-dozen times, but never when Sanraiba was open.

Do check out Rusutsu.

Sapporo Kokusai is a bit out of the way form the Niseko area, but it might be something to check out on the way to or from Niseko since you have a car. Kiroro is very out of the way, and has an inefficient lift/gondola system and the runs go to flat towards the ski center (the food there sucks too).

>ASB, "Hell Valley" (Jigokudani) is only worth seeing if you are really into onsen (hot springs), as it is a side-attraction to Noboribetsu Onsen.

It is however only 45 minutes to an hour away from Shiga Kogen which is an incredible resort/mountain area. Love Shiga!

There are 2 Jigokudanis. Anyone going to Shiga Kogen need to see that. And remember to call it Shiga Kogen, not just Shiga, CB? ;\)