130 days it takes on it's trip I just heard.

How does someone get to jog with that?

And it seems Taiwan ain't too pleased about the route - it undermines their sovereign status or something. China just wants them to enjoy the event with them. Ah, perpahs they should just sit down with a new cup of tea and cookies.

I was working with Powerbar during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and had a Gold Pass which allowed me to enter any olympic venue, event etc, it was da bomb!! My college GF's dad got to run with the torch and I think it was something like a kilometer or two/ person maybe???Something like that. Google? ;\)

Its not like China doesnt have a billion people they can pool from LOL

I heard theres some trouble brewing about them wanting to take it through Tibet too. On NHK news this morning I saw something about the French presidential candidate (the woman) saying she wanted to boycott the chinese olympics but not sure if it was for that reason. Nothing on BBC news online about that though...

My wife ran through our home town with the torch in 2000. The torch sits proudly in our living room

The Sydney 2000 olympics was a great time. There was a great vibe down here. It was pre 9/11, pre Afghanistan, pre Iraq ect.

The whole country got behind it, it was a great chance for everyone to get together, and get behind something positive. The torch took a ridiculous route, thousands of people involved. No-one seemed to care how much it all cost or weather we made money out of any of it.

Quote:
My wife ran through our home town with the torch in 2000. The torch sits proudly in our living room.

She stole it too?
Seriously, you get a souvenir torch?

Understood about the get together thing but really all a bit silly if you ask me. And I don't like the Olympics. Media will be unbearable for a month.
 Quote:

Understood about the get together thing but really all a bit silly if you ask me. And I don't like the Olympics. Media will be unbearable for a month.

OK you are entitaled to your opinion, can you tell me what other global event that involves almost every country in the world do you know of where people aren't trying to kill each other?

None but that is not my point. I'm not comparing this thought to my wishes for world peace, or whatever else.

I just do not like the Olympics and all that is involved with them.

I'm a total sucker for the olympics. Suddenly I find entertainment in sports I don't usually pay attention to. I love everything about them and actually complain that the coverage isn't enough. I dream of the day I can attend an olympic downhill event. I've dreamt of spectating a downhill since I was like five.

I remember the Turin olympics a couple of winters ago. Events were NOT sold out and tickets were like 3000 yen a pop.

Vancouver, I suspect, won't be such a cheap paradise. However, I've already told my wife. WE ARE GOING. I'm sick of being forced to watch them on TV.

The torch bearers selected in Australia could purchase the torch they used, only those that ran had this option and once it ws used it could never be lit again as replacement gas canisters were not available and no other one fitted.

Most people I know that ran their bit bought the torch, its a beutiful piece of work too.

I hate watching most sports but the Olympics is different.

Sydney during the Olympics was amazing, everyone was so happy, its a shame the world fell to pieces after this event, it would be nice to see such great and peaceful times again one day.