Summer flights (+ why is tax so different?)

OK I'm planning my flights for the summer and here's what I got quoted

No 1

Flight 152,000 yen, tax (total) 39,800 yen

A'cross

Flight 152,000 yen, tax (total) 53,000 yen

Surely the tax is fixed? Are they making a mistake or something more sinister, or can the tax really be that different?

That sounds like they have made a mistake. The tax numbers change daily I believe but only slightly because of exchange rates. I'd call again and get a different person to give you a quote. They're all pretty much the same though in my experience.

Thats what I thought. When I asked the guy to explain why the tax was different, he suggested I buy the ticket from the cheaper place. So I said "ok, bye".

BTW phoned that other expensive place up again and talked to a different guy - and he gave me the "normal" price. That first guy though was totally sure that there was no mistake.

This year they are issuing "fuel surcharge" files to people booking saying that even if you have paid up, if the price of fuel increases before your flight you might have to pay the extra. Last year there was none of that.

Here's what the document I got says:

PAYMENT OF FUEL SURCHARGES

Thank you for using RIP OFF Travel.

Recently, due to the rising price of oil and changes in domestic economies, several airline

companies applied Ministry of Transportation for the authorization of fuel surcharge as an

additional fee and it was approved.

Fuel surcharge is an additional fee that differs from the air fare and which was approved

under the condition that it shall apply to all passengers until the abnormal rising price of oil

returns back to the normal level.

Air fares and tour prices do not include fuel surcharges. The amount of fuel surcharge

changes according to the destination and the airline company and it is going to be charged

together with the air fares or tour prices. Furthermore, you cannot make cancellations by the

reason of increasing fuel surcharges.

CONDITIONS

1. PERIOD: Departures between 01 October 2006 to 30 September 2007

2. RELATED PRODUCTS: All the products using the airline companies applied and

authorized for an increase of fuel surcharge.(Both air and tour fare)

3. RELATED AIRLINE COMPANIES AND THE AMOUNT OF SURCHARGE:

The amount of fuel surcharge changes according to the destination and the airline

company, so detailed information is going to be given by our office you made the

reservation.

In the future also the amount is going to be charged for the airline companies which may

apply and authorized for a revision of fuel surcharge.

For the customers who have already paid the total amount please make the payment for the

balance of fuel surcharge.

We highly appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

I got mine booked last week. Going on the 28th July for 3 weeks.

Every year I tell myself I'll get them booked early and it always ends up being around now. When is the earliest we can get summer flights booked, anyone know?

I got a similar document.

I'd like to book mine earlier but there are a few things to confirm before I can do that (job, holidays, family plans and the like). Next year though I'm definitely going to try and book in early March.