1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Suica was started by JR as a method of paying for JR using a contactless IC card. They then expanded the program to include paying for things like food, snacks, etc. inside and around the train station.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suica

Passmo was just launched last Sunday by the 'Passmo Company' and is a competing contactless IC card for riding the subways and busses. Suica and Passmo can be used on each other's system (so Suica works on the subway and Passmo on JR).

more info on Passmo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PASSMO

They are not compatible with the ICOCA system (sorry Kansai peeps), so this is pretty much a Tokyo thang.

Personally, I like the penguin....

I've learnt something too. I didn't know they were interchangable. I already have a suica card so I suppose there is no point buying a Passmo then? Do either offer financial incentives?

I think that kind of "convenient" things just confuse old brains.

\:\(

Suica is a kind of pre-paid card, right? And while you have some 'money' in your suica card, you can go through the entrance gates in each and every station linked to suica system here and there without buying tickets.....? You don't need to buy tickets trip by trip when the train company changes..? ( JR<->Odakyu, Keikyu<->JR etc ) ?

So, is it just to save your time?

The most scary part for pre-paid cards is what if I lost them lol..... I often do that \:\(

Sometimes I am surprised to find younger people in Tokyo go throught the gates with their keitai!!! eek.gif What are they doing!?!?!? wakaranai.gif