I was just talking to Dell (thinking about buying) and they seemed to be saying that if I buy now, I will get Vista for 3000 yen - and then basically I will have BOTH on my PC. ie. I can switch between the two. Or something like that. Seems strange I would have thought upgrading to Vista meant XP was bye-bye.

Any techheads any thoughts on that?

A lot of third party developers' software may not run on Vista yet, so you'll need to hang on to XP for a while, is what I've read in the PC mags. Some guys were even saying that they would be running Linux as well, so 3 O/S's on the same PC.

Quote:
they seemed to be saying that if I buy now, I will get Vista for 3000 yen - and then basically I will have BOTH on my PC. ie. I can switch between the two.
If so thats a good deal and you should take it. But one day you'll have to reformat the HDD (to remove XP) and backup all your files etc, reinstall all software.

I will be waiting until PC's are pre-loaded with Vista before buying a new one for that reason.

Trying to get rid of XP from under Vista would probably mean a clean install, unless you want to leave a lot of useless debris on your HDD from the old O/S.

I thought I would just let you all know about this version of Vista:

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Limited Numbered Signature Edition

Signed by the big Bill himself.

Or you could go for the Chinese version:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/21/it-begins-black-market-vista-copies-already-on-chinese-shelves/

You might not want too, dale (and nor do I, really), but if you'd just forked out $2000 for commercial video editing software that doesn't run on Vista, but want access to some of the other goodies on Vista, you might want to run the 2 O/S's side-by-side, to save money.