I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 recently.

That was a mistake - it seems slower than 6, often crashes and I just really don't like it generally.

So I want to get rid of it and have IE6 like I had before, but how do I do that? It isn't clear!

Can someone help!

Thank you.

Go to Control Panels > Add/Remove Programs and IE7 should be lurking in there.

Easy removal seems to be about its only reliable feature. (And a big [censored] you vey much to Yahoo for promoting it briefly...)

Aha, yes it is there at the bottom. But will I then be browserless or will it reinstate 6?? I remember it seemed almost impossible to completely get rid of 6.

Did you have problems with it too, Ocean11?

6 will still work OK.

It killed my old version of MusicMatch Jukebox. I had to do some headscratching there to figure out why my trusty music software simply wouldn't start. Thank you Microsoft! Thank you Yahoo!

(And all I use IE for is looking at Goemon's silly animated GIFs because I have 'em turned off in Firefox...)

What is it supposed to do that 6 won't? I just can't get excited over browsers... you just view websites in them right? Am I missing something!

Ah so thats why Musicmatch doesnt work - I spent a few hours trying to fix that damn thing and ended up uninstalling it. Ill go uninstall IE7 tonight.

Evil IE, I hate it more than you can imagine as in my work I am constantly having to write work-arounds to get it to display webpages properly.

The only advantage is tabbed browsing, as far as I can tell. And if it was that important to you, you would have changes to Firefox years ago.

Having said that, IE7 seems to be OK on my PC's so far. I do hate how the address bar is over the menu bar, and can't seem to be shifted from there. Having "File Edit View etc." at the top of the screen seems much more natural...

i think they (M$) are shifting that way with a lot of products. I noticed windows media player is like that now (had to use it to replace musicmatch that IE7 killed, starting to see why everyone hates M$ so much now.).

rach, what's a quabble? Is it like a really bad quibble with a quarrel and a squabble?

And, feel free, let your total lack of browser sophistication just hang right out in these threads. ;\)

(Hint: You browser is probably the software you use the most, and being able to hide stuff you don't want to see, arranging topics and articles you want to read, and flipping between them with key commands is very nice. That's why folks use Firefox and Opera... For example, I chose to hide your 'ham' avatar because it always made me hungry - you can't do that in IE.)

Vista is said to be shipping (to Oz, at least) in February. I doubt whether all the potential software conflicts will have been resolved before it's released into the wild.

I would hang onto XP and IE6 as long as possible, and hope that some of the bugs get ironed out with patches over the next year or so... Vista SP2, maybe?

Will Firefox even run on Vista?

I use Firefox. Not only is it very useful for blocking unwanted adverts with the Adblock plugin, it also had Rikaichan, a pop-up Japanese dictionary plugin. I find rikaichan very usefull as it provides a translation on Japanese text merely by scrolling the mouse cursor over it and can handle compound words and the like competently.

Sure I should probably work harder at learning the Kanji myself, but untill I'm more capable its a very usefull crutch.