Mantas.. yeah getting around but now we are here to stay!

Last sat at Nth Wall was just a taste of things to come!

Tsonda, mate, the biggest mistake people make is trying to make the jump way too early to a short board. Give yourself more time and from long to 6ft or under is just crazy!

should be longboard to hybrid/mini mal (7-7.5) then maybe a 6'4.

Don't get sucked into the trap like all the japanese that wanna try and learn on kellys sticks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grommets around at the Billabong Pro Juniour are still hanging in there. This ECL is pushing in winds up to 80km/hour. The seas are pretty big and it's driving rain, yet they are still out there trying to surf.

I take my hat off to them.

Things cleaned up a bit today, the Gromms were all over it. I was really feeling my age out there. sadface

Some photos of today. Not quite up to Bushies standard but the best I could do with me camera.

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I am able to catch shoulder size waves on a longboard by now, but I could not catch a single wave all weekend on the shortboard (5.8).
You'll need to take off later and steeper than you did on the mal, Tsondaboy. You can get a bit of a boost by jamming the tail of your board underwater into the base of the wave face before you start paddling. Tricky, but worthwhile. Once you've perfected it, you can even catch the odd wave without paddling - handy after three hours when your arms have turned to jelly but it's too good to go in.

I realized you need to get it just before it brakes, that would mean wipeout on a long board. I ve seen some people instead of paddling, kicking their feet in the water and then stand up, but I don't know how you can keep your balance like that.

By the way, can someone give me a tip about how its the easier way to balance the board when you are just sitting on it waiting for the wave?

By the way, can someone give me a tip about how its the easier way to balance the board when you are just sitting on it waiting for the wave?

lol
Sorry, no tip there mate, just practice.

Father I have sinned...

...I was back on a longboard this weekend. ashamed

tsondaboy_244.JPG

but at least I was able to have fun and catch a few waves.

tsondaboy_245.JPG

and also wipe out a few times smile

tsondaboy_246.JPG

I also did practice on the short board a few hours and I can now sit on the board! razz

I also did practice on the short board a few hours and I can now sit on the board! razz

Good job! And judging by Pic 2, you've mastered the criminally-underrated 'poo-squat' move. It's what all the pros are doing in the shack at Pipe and Teahupo, trust me.
Originally Posted By: Greenroome

Good job! And judging by Pic 2, you've mastered the criminally-underrated 'poo-squat' move. It's what all the pros are doing in the shack at Pipe and Teahupo, trust me.

like this you mean razz
Originally Posted By: Greenroome

no no no no..
It's called poo-man.
Doing well tsonda!

mantas, whilst I'm away, you gotta keep these boys up to speed!

Sorry, derelic in my duty. shifty

Well seeing as BP has bugger all photos for us, I'll post a few.

I took these shots of a break up north last thursday. I got an absolute flogging!

Some of the sets were pushing through at 8 foot with the ocassional bigger ones. I got smashed back to the beach TWICE before I made it out. My mate, who was 5 meters in front of me, got out unscathed. When I finally did get out, I got pitched TWICE! All up I did the run around and point jump 4 times! Seriously, I haven't had a flogging like that since my last Indo trip.

So after one and a half hours after putting on the steamer. I got one, a monster too. thumbsup

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

How did you go Indo?

That vid reminds me of watching the pros at Pipeline a few years back. The size of the waves were monster!! A mate of mine paddled out, he didn't try to catch one, just said he wanted to paddle out there....he almost drowned coming back in!!!! lol