Harleys and Hot Rods in Japan

panhead-pete. the first Harley I got was when I was about 8 years old. It was the coolest mini-bike I've ever seen. my sister didn't understand that it had different gears and drove into the ground going around my parents house. And now, my wife will only allow me to own Harley (HOG) in the the form of stock. So that is what I have now. Definitely not as fun but doing quite well nonetheless. ;\) My guess is you'd pay a pretty penny for a Harley in Nippon. I'll be in Tokyo for the next few days, I'll try to have a check.

There are 210 Harleys for sale at the Yahoo auction site.

There are a lot of Harleys in my part of Japan. One of my neighbours has a hard tail, with hand change and foot clutch speechless-smiley-005.gif . It's a little known fact the the secondary vibrations from the 45 degree vee twin kills half your brain cells, and causes your belly to expand and hair to fall out. ;\)

Yahoo doesn`t classify like that. Here`s the page with all the makes in the left-hand column. You`ll have to use trial and error here.

http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/26360-category.html

Hot-rods don`t really exist here in an Aussie or US sense. There are lots of ricers, plus WRX/Evos. Mostly you see slammed GTRs or big Nissan or Toyota sedans. Thanks to soubriquette for finding these links. She`s a patient and indulgent woman.

Sorry HoTRoD, I'm not denying your existence.

You can get away with a lot more here than in Oz, but I think you would have trouble with that. You'd need lights, mudguards and front brakes for a start.

There are quite a few nice Lotus/Caterham 7s around. 500 kg with 200 bhp+ should give adequate performance.

I use to work in a Harley customising shop in Nagano back in about 1997. Nothing too extreme just mainly taking off original parts and bolting on accessories from the States, servicing, etc. Harleys hold their prices pretty well in Japan but I have seen 2nd hand bikes exported to New Zealand to be resold so there must be some good deals out there. But for some strange reason I have heard comments about H.D's imported from Japan that somepeople(probably redneck bikers) wont touch them. Wouldnt suprise me if some Aussie bikers are the same. As others have said Yahoo is probably the best chance of getting a good deal. Last time I checked it was about $400(N.Z) to Ship to N.Z and Aust cant be too much different. Only $80 if it was shipped in the back of a van or truck which is great if your sending back a vehicle. Otherwise try to get to know some Japanese who ride and they might be able to help you out.

I would also suggest checking out "motocycle town" (literally about six or seven city blocks crammed with motorcycle and accessories shops) located just east of Tokyo's Ueno station.

Have also heard that because so few new HDs are exported to Aus, used harley's brought into Aus from other countries (like Japan) can resell for decidedly more than the owner paid for them even after shipping. Can't confirm that rumor, though, but it sure would help to explain the redneck rage.

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
It was the coolest mini-bike I've ever seen. .... now, my wife will only allow me to own Harley (HOG) in the the form of stock.
Now I get it! It's just like your mini guitars! As in:

1. wife wont let you sell them in Guam (nor own a Harley)
2. they are both small (mini Harley and mini guitar)

Why are you often the first guy to respond to a thread with zero useful substance, just hot air... and yet manage to mention of a stock that you own? Gee, wow!

Sorry Pete. I am no better than Kintaro, got nothing to contribute on Japanese HR's. But I did start a VW Beetle HR project in Oz (and never finished it).

Have you got any pics of what they look like when you've finished them?

And are those Australian antiques, or imported?

(That one looks to be in pretty good nick considering its age. No gaping holes or ought.)

I simply said I had a Harley and enjoyed it. For the last time, an ukulele isn't a mini guitar, it's an ukulele. You sound pretty unhappy db. Good luck with that. And BTW, I didn't give you permission to mention my wife. She's not a member of this forum. Don't do it again.

All I did was quote what you typed. If that contains the word wife... what can I do about it? If you mention something or someone on the forum, then so can anyone else when replying to your post, so long as it is respectful. In two separate posts in a week you mentioned that 'your wife wont let you'.

Small guitars and coconut bra's. Go figure.

Thanks for asking, I am pretty happy right now. But I do live by the rule that the happiest people are also often the most naive, its almost an attribute worth having.

I think that is all off topic yet again and I don't want to be responsible for yet another derailment.

Pete - my old man bought two old Rovers, same style as your pictured cars, but in much better condition. One was for parts and one was for restoration. We had one running for a while and drove it around. I was pretty young and didn't like it much. The Rovers were rounded and dorky looking. I like the square Chicago gangster style of your cars much more.

commodities and numb skull bankers. Go figure. What can you do? Never mention my wife again is what you can do. Like I've said, you don't have permission. Wakaru? Cheer up db, one of these days your company will appreciate your loyalty and stop moving you around like the last guy on the totem pole and show you a little respect. Until then, try not to take out your frustations on forum members that you've never even met. I wish you the best of luck.

Going further off topic here, sorry;

When we were back in the UK, there was a Morris Minor Traveller parked up the road from my parents' house and my boy was fascinated by it - the little triangular windows (for flicking the ash off your Woodbines), the winkers on sticks, and the wood trim. We stood around it with goofy expressions similar to the bloke in the picture. It was the same colour scheme as this one too.

10069205.jpg