I hope all city peeps were having a nice day today, because we sure were. We went to Ubayu onsen which is right on the Yamagata/Fukushima border. It's at 1,300m elevation, and very nice too. The road in is the steepest I've found in Japan so far, and so tight we had to shunt to get round one hairpin. Well worth it though.

soubriquet_107.jpg

Here's one for you, spud.

soubriquet_106.jpg

Autumn colours developing nicely.

soubriquet_108.jpg

i just went up to Honzawa no Yu on Sunday. Apparently, its the highest onsen in Japan, and was really nice, except for the rain i had to deal with on the way back (although, that was nothing that couldn`t be fixed with another dip in an indoor place).

Might have a pic to post soon. Some dude was there with his family, and took some pictures with the foriegn dude. Hopefully he`ll send them on to me.

I have to say that coming off a mountain at any time of year and finishing up in an onsen is sublime:

torihada_1.jpg

Soubriquet's beautiful photos got me looking through my previous onsen outings in Akita and I thought I'd share a couple of decent ones (no skin pics - I'm not a pretty sight)These are from the area around Nyuto onsen near Tazawako.They are quite old, the oldest supposedly 300 hundred years old. They have a great atmosphere and can be quiet first thing in the morning.

torihada_2.jpg

Like Soubriquet I really enjoyed visiting Kawaharage onsen. I did manage to sit in the waterfall, and could feel the water stinging my skin. Further up river my father in law found a natural rotenburo and was gently simmering away. I tried to join him but the water was hot enough to boil tako (which was his colour).

There is another onsen I visit at Nyuto but it was partially demolished by an avalanche last year.

torihada_3.jpg

Hopefully it'll be open this winter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Isnt there some rule bout not being able to bring towels into onsens? Especially konyoku?
Sorry. I missed your point the first time around. I have a full frontal of me, taken by soubriquette, if you'd like to see it. I also have a cracking shot of soubriquette doing the Oishida Hat Dance (dressed in hat) at Tendo. I fear that they would breach the SJ rules however, and I'm afraid I'm not game for another wigging from SJ1 \:\)

nice one Soub. That's exactly the same rottenburro from my winter shots; Gunibar(?) I've been in Summer & Winter and now I've seen it in Autumn. I never bother with the indoor baths there and I try to get there first thing in the morning so we can hog the Furo. I also stayed at the hotel down the road from Gunibar after 8 hours hiking from Ashidake:that evening was the most relaxing bath I've ever taken.

Yes naked shots of SJ males not appreciated