Just read a very interesting article about what the search engines might know about us.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/search/story/0,,1859785,00.html

Every time you use an internet search engine, your inquiry is stored in a huge database. Would you like such personal information to become public knowledge? Yet for thousands of AOL customers, that nightmare has just become a reality. Andrew Brown reports on an incident that has exposed how much we divulge to Google & co

shifty.gif

I heard they (google) got pressured by the CIA to release search data but they didnt release it.

great article. but if you dont accept the cookie then they cant know anything about you beyond a few queries.

I am completely paranoid when it comes to my computer business. I do virus sweeps and keep a fire wall in operation 24/7. About a year ago I recieved a couple of very strange phone calls that only increased my paranoia. The first one was a British sounding guy that asked "Are you 'kintaro' (he used my real name)? Very friendly. I said yes,he politley thanked me and hung up. 5 days later, I got the same call from a japanese man. But less politeley he hung up on me after the info he was seeking was received. I immediatley upgraded my security and changed all of my passwords. Not exactly on track with this thread but identity theaft scares the hell out of me.

What's so strange about a british voice calling and asking you if you're you? May have gotten your number from a number of people that you know personally (work/friends, whatever).

Can't say anything for the second guy cos I don't now what the divulged info was.

I guess I often get calls from people I don't know, but these tend to be work related. Still, I had the born again christians calling me the other night in English - later I realised my name must still be in the phone book and they peruse it for foreign names... gotta get that taken out....

It has nothing to do with I think he was British. It was just odd to get the same phone call in a week from two different languages. the thing is, it wasn't telemarketers. there was no other conversation involved. Just a name check.

That does sound pretty strange. I never answer questions on the phone unless I know who it is and I know I am interested in what they have to say.