Does anyone know a good (and cheap!) ryokan in central Tokyo, or with easy access to central Tokyo???

I just tickets for the Studio Ghibli museum for Saturday, so am going to see Tokyo on Sat evening / Sun. with my girlfriend before she flies back to the UK on Monday.

Any recommendations???

Shibuya has a lot of love hotels but the best ones fill up early so get there just before the check in time if you want a specific one. This site is a good place to search through. You can search by area or factilties (pool, outdoor bath, waterbed, SM room...). Some of them have links to the hotel websites. I found a really cool one in Shibuya a while back with an onsen type bath in the room with rocks and all but I couldn't find it when I checked just now.

This is a love hotel in Shinjuku

Hotel BaliAn, Shinjuku

room01.jpg

In a thread about Japanese tourism I posted a characteristically extensive contribution on this topic. I found a nice inexpensive Ryokan in Hakone. Really easy to reach: just take the Odakyu from Shinjuku, or the Lomance Car. The Ryokan is no more than 5 minutes drive from the train station in the little shuttle van they operate.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/4513.html?

The time at this basic Ryokan was my Japanese experience.

Me Jane, although it looks nice, I wouldn’t call that a Ryokan. And nor would I expect a water bed. Ryokans are the most expensive nights sleep on the floor one is likely to pay for.

Where is Studio Ghibli? I thought it was out near Kichijoji.

As lovely as Asakusa is, its not going to be very convenient.

For Ghibli, I'd look for a ryokan (or love hotel) closer to Ikebukuro/Shinjuku. There are tons, all over Tokyo.

What you mean by "central Tokyo" anyway? Geographic center? Tokyo station? the tocho in shinjuku? The cultual center of Tokyo (museums, tea houses, etc)? The central area(s) for Tokyo's night life?

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
Asakusa has a few good cheap ryokans.
Stayed in Asakusa Ryokan Toukaisou in Feb this year and it was great. Very clean and cosy rooms. At first I was skeptical staying in Asakusa, but by the end loved the place. This ryokan is a few minutes walk from the station and Sensoji temple. Heaps of awesome alleys of 'old Tokyo' to explore! A good way to experience Tokyo in my opinion.

Too right. If you walk a few minutes and blocks away from the intense tourist front of Asakusa then you find some really good old laneways just as Steve describes. I agree totally that is a fun place to walk around, eat and have a drink. It is also one of the few areas where you can have a drink sitting outside, like old style "alfresco Edo cafes". My girlfriend and I went there and we both like it. There are some nice old people milling around at these daggy cheap looking eating/drinking holes.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Me Jane, although it looks nice, I wouldn’t call that a Ryokan. And nor would I expect a water bed. Ryokans are the most expensive nights sleep on the floor one is likely to pay for.
No, it's a love hotel \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:
 Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
Asakusa has a few good cheap ryokans.
Stayed in Asakusa Ryokan Toukaisou in Feb this year and it was great.
That's a great deal for rooms with a private bath but alas no kids under six (DISCRIMINATION!!!) and no parking.

For an ordinary hotel even, shop around and you can get a deal for around 10,000, even at the weekend. Some of the bigger hotels do great deals during the week, and will give you 24 hour free parking, which can be a biggie.