Most accommodation is on Don Deth, but they are connected. We splurged out to get a $2 hut a night, which a fan and electricity until 9pm.

Problem with Laos is that there is a lot to do in the north and some interesting things in the south but nothing in the middle.

IMO Sihanoukville is great to end your journey. We stayed longer than planned and went straight from there to the airport in Bangkok for our flight home.

The village has several beaches most of them are so-so. There is only 1 good beach with some nice wooden simple huts overlooking the white sand beach. When we were there they were building a golf course just behind the treeline. It should be finished by now so it might have changed the atmosphere the beach had with a number of lounge/full moon party type of place at the other end of the beach.

Dudes, malaria isn’t like the flu, you can’t just shrug it off. My Uncle caught it when fighting in PNG during WW2 and eventually succumbed to its effects not-that-much-later in life. Okay, extreme case, but it is ranked #5 killer in the world, so thinking that the simple use of DEET products and wearing long clothes will stop it is not realistic.

All it takes is one bit of a particular mozzie and you’re tagged. Short term use of a medication is the sensible alternative … I believe from discussions here that some of the people on this forum have used vastly more dangerous substances, much more regularly, eh?! ;\)

If you can get it, just take Doxycycline. If in the rare instance you have a reaction, simply stop taking it – peace of mind and a far more enjoyable holiday. thumbsup.gif

was in sihanoukville just this march. it is so so. i found it hard to justify being there to myself after a few life changing experiences earlier on in cambodia. i kinda wanted to start stabbing nearly every other tourist in town on account of their insenstivity. (well not really but you know what i mean) funny though, when i arrived back in thailand that feeling subsided.

the best beach to stay at in sihanoukville is "serendipidy beach" there are a number of good guest houses for a great rate. but that end of the beach is a little rocky and has a bit of a garbage problem.

the best beach to swim at in sihanoukville is waaaaaay down at the end of Occheuteal Beach and just past that at Otres Beach. here you will be alone and finally away from the continous assault of obnoxious trance/jungle that inflicts the beach all day and all night long. there are places that offer "free accomidation and free ....." on Occheuteal Beach. but the catch is you have to buy their food, drinks, and live in squalor at the endless party.

from sihanoukville you can either take the fast boat along the coast or the road through the jungle back to Krong Koh Kong and then cross over into Thailand. either way it is an all day afair. from there it is about an hour to Trat; the jumping point to Koh Chang.

am in northern vietnam at the moment, and will be crossing into northern loas via a little used border crossing in the next week.

i'm taking doxy, cos i'm paranoid about malaria. my mum's chinese, so i have quite olive skin, and i've never noticed any side effects of doxy - ie i don't get more sunbirnt. but my girl is quite pale and she's burning a bit more.

i've heard very bad things about larium from friends, so i wouldn't take it.

also, depends on where you're going, but you may want a jab for japanese encephilitis (sp?). depends on how paranoid you are. its freaking expensive, and i didn't get it because of the cost, and the low level of risk, but it sounds like quite a nasty disease.

but then i've met plenty of people travelling without taking any pills, travelling without medical insurance etc etc. i like to err slightly on the safer side, so take the doxy i reckon.

>i like to err slightly on the safer side, so take the doxy i reckon.

Will check if I can get it in Japan Spook.

Has anybody bought Malaria pills in Japan? Whatd you get? How much? Will reread the thread cuz I cant remember if thats been posted.

Cheers peeps \:\)

Just wanted to say thanks to many of you who gave your experience with Malaria pills.

Was at the main health branch in Osaka city yesterday and spoke with the doc (and got a few pokes in the arm as well) and found out they have 3-4 types of pills readily at that center. Ill be able to choose between loosing the plot and getting sunburned alive - sounds like fun shifty.gif

In case peeps in Kansai ever need it the center is:

大阪総合医療センター osaka sougou iryou sentaa

and the phone number is: 0669291221

Its in Sakurajima just a 2 minute walk from Sakurajima eki off the Tanimachi subway.