It's on the news here that N Korea might be preparing another "dong" missile to go or whatever they call them soon. I'm sure it is on the Japanese news a lot as well.

Japan are saying they would take "stern measures" if they fired their big dong. What would those stern measures be?

yeah, but that is what they were talking about when they suggested that option. Regardless, I doubt they would shoot it down unless they were 99 percent convinced that Tokyo or somewhere significant had actually been targeted and it wasn't just a test run.

For them to bomb some city like Tokyo makes no sense at all, what would they have to gain? Unless they were going to back it up with a troop invasion there would be no point.

yes and no BillTheMan. NK has done this kind of thing periodically without it ever turning into a "serious" situation. They are more likely just trying to keep the hounds at bay by showing a little force. More like self preservation than aggression. Just reminding the rest of us what they could do if push came to shove. They do, after all, have to live up to their "rogue state", and more recently "axis of evil" reputation don't they?

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
For them to bomb some city like Tokyo makes no sense at all, what would they have to gain? Unless they were going to back it up with a troop invasion there would be no point.
you think so? You think somebody that wacked actually cares about an invasion? Not that I know either but mass destruction of Tokyo might be enough to satisfy him. Also, N. Korean troops could be in Seoul in 40 minutes.

i think nkorea is enjoying their handouts from the us for shutting up about their nuclear capabilities so they wouldn't do anything stupid right now. Also why would nkorea want to take the nuclear spotlight off iran?

Quote:
Not that I know either but mass destruction of Tokyo might be enough to satisfy him.
I dont believe anyone is evil by nature. I believe rulers ultimately act in what they feel is the best interest of their country. For this reason I never believe the media propaganda about evil dictators (Gaddafi, Hussain, etc). It just doesnt make sense to murder thousands of people for no personal/political gain beyond thrill. From a mass murderer who is mentally inbalanced it is one thing, but from someone who has made it through to system to be top dog in the country I cant believe they could be so irrational.

lol.gif That's a joke right? Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, lil' Kim's dad, lil' Kim himself, Mao (some would say Bush!) are just misunderstood. They were really working for the benefit of the people. Those deaths, those countless of millions of deaths just so many eggs broken for the good of the greater omelet.

Hussain didn't have any big bombs but pretended he did right up to the day the US kicked in his door. He could have saved himself a lot of grief by fessing up to not having any WMD - not the most rational approach. And that is the problem with psycho dictators, they're not that rational.

" Also why would nkorea want to take the nuclear spotlight off iran? "

Because while they have the spotlight people listen to them and give them things like fuel and power and TVs and food. Kim is probably running low on mars bars and so needs to apply a bit of leverage to get another delivery.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:

Hussain didn't have any big bombs but pretended he did right up to the day the US kicked in his door. He could have saved himself a lot of grief by fessing up to not having any WMD - not the most rational approach. And that is the problem with psycho dictators, they're not that rational.
As usual you have no idea what you're talking about with such authority.

Saddam told Duelfer that he kept up the pretense of having at least some powerful weapons for the sake of keeping Iran out of his country. He thought the US knew he had no WMD (and of course he was right - they were crawling all over his country and heard the same thing from defectors and via the CIA). He was baffled when they kept saying he did, and tried desperately to get inspectors back in. He was caught between a rock (Iran) and a hard place (US).

Kim will have been doing some similar sorts of calculus, but his neighbours Russia and China no doubt find him more useful than the mullahs in Iran found Saddam.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002512.html

Rag-Doll, do some reading please.

Ocean! I thought that might bring you out of your hole! :p

I do quite a bit of reading, I just don't beleive everything I read. Saddam is one of the bad guys. Attacking Iran, gasing civilians in halabja, invading Kuwait, belief that claiming to hold a stack of big bombs was't going to result in an arse kickin', his taste in music - hardly indicators of a sound mind. And that brings be back to my original point in reply to Bobby12.