Typical Canadains can't spell who or what they are.

Toque is pronounced 'tock' (or 'toke' if you're an American who thinks they can pronounce foreign languages but can't).

Tuque is pronounced 'took'.

(I've also checked this with a book-learned Quebecoise, so no arguing back Canadains.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
(I've also checked this with a book-learned Quebecoise, so no arguing back Canadains.)
book-learned quebecoise? heveryone knows dat dere his no such ting eh. you know. hand hif so, dey har far houtwayed by de tortierre, h'labbat's blue, hand demaurier learned quebecers nes pas? hand besides wat good his hit to get refherencsis from people dat pronouce such tings has: mapple searuoop, hrubaer beoot, ambergar, ot dog, hend poutin si vous plait. hi ope you hunderstand.

but seriously, that must be the standard middle french pronouciation. if so i suspect it would mean very little in today's french speaking section of canada, french accents are as varied through out the provence of quebec, let alone the country, as english accents are. my french friends pronouce it 'tuk'.

pretty tough to nail down the 'correct' pronouciation in english too for most words wouldn't you say?

but back to the point, the linquistic phenomia known as canadian raising is what causes this odd pronounciation. basically a diphthong vowel is raised when proceeding an unvoiced consonant.
that is also why we say things like 'aboot the hoos'.

(no offence intended towards any quebecers, you can call me an estit maudit uppercanadian all you want)

obviously as Daver explained the pronunciation for any word will be different if you compare a english-speaking canadian and a 'quebekker'. Since this is a mainly english site we can discard the french pronunciation for now.

so like I said before say 'too' and then finish with a 'k' sound

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
a diphthong vowel is raised when proceeding an unvoiced consonant.
That is one of the strangest things I have ever read.

Anyway, I pronounce it beanie. My girlfriend pronounces it 'knitted hat'. Is that a Japanese term?