When cruising along with the board flat, usually on a not so steep part, and going straight, I can`t seem to stop my board drifting. It`s difficult to explain, but it`s like the back end wants to slide forward which creates an alarming possiblilty of catching an edge. This forces me to turn toeside.

I also find it far more comfortable to coast along on the toe edge than the heel edge. Is this normal?

My angles are F 22, B 4.

I`ve also been messing around with the forard lean, but doesn`t seem to help.

Any gems of wisdom, greatly appreciated \:\)

I never ride with the board flat for the reason you describe. I always use an edge for control. The edge I use is determined by the side angle of the slope or by the pain in either my calves or thighs. The only exception is leading into a jump - then I'll ride on the flat part of the board when setting up for a straight jump.

the same sort of thing happens with my lbf skis they seem to not want to go straight on the hard stuff. sort of speed wobbles.

i figure

small edge damage

or

side cut affects the ski

or

my duck walking stance

or

I am making bs

extreme board wandering can most likely caused by a convexed base, where the edges are not in contact with the snow..and the base curves outward...

maybe get your board;s base stone ground to flatten the base...

then you'll glide flat and straight even with no edge pressure...

I've found it can be down to 'subtle weight distribution' on both skis and boards. The wider/more parabollic/damaged one's ride the more slight weight imbalances effect performance on the flats/slightly cantered parts of the gelande.

Especially noticable for riders like me, who spent no time learning the finer points of the game...

Have you always noticed this or is it only with this board? I had similar problem with the heel edge catching on the flats resulting in some nasty pound yer ass in the ground spills! I managed to overcome this by making sure i dont allow myself to look around too much as the board seems to go wherever you look,also make sure you stay in a nice squat to keep your centre of gravity low and keep you weight more towards the rear but even between your toes and heels so as to make sure your not inadvertantly turning the board when you dont want to. This was my problem but yours may be something diff!

Thanks folks, plenty to think about there.

The board is only 10 days boarding old so I figure it shouldn`t be convexed, not yet anyway.

I meant forward lean of the bindings. What difference does more, or less, forward binding lean actually make?

In my mind more forward lean should put a little more weight onto your toes making the board slide behind but I have the opposite problem. When I tried more forward lean it doesn`t seem to fix it.

I try to keep weight evenly spread, will pay more attention to that.

Have checked the edges, all seems clear there.

Not much I can do about the sidecut, but it is the same on both sides so shouldn`t be a problem yeah?

Will be trying the big board at Niseko, so I`ll get back on the `other board` angle.

Look where you wanna go, sounds like fair advice too.

Hhmmm....

Thanks kindly for the tips

I had a lot of backwards wipeouts out on that horrible icy trail to the carpark at the bottom of Nozawa. Smacking backwards onto that isn't what you want at that time of day. So I watched other people and asked my betters.

Keeping low helps - you can even rest your elbows on your knees as you go. The other trick is to hold the front edge without actually turning on it. You can do this by applying torque across your board - by lifting your back heel up slightly to dig in the toeside edge near the back. This can be done very subtly, and often just thinking about your front edge can be enough. cool.gif

stoke: did you have the same problem with your last board?

I don't know if this is too obvious or not, but..

it might just have to do with being too stiff. I'm a big fan of bombing down board flat, but even when you ride flat you still may have to make small adjustments on either edge to keep yourself from losing it....

Sounds like a normal problem. From your comment re riding heel edge I guess you are a begginer or intermediate level boarder. Ray had some good advice... try to keep on one edge. Even on lower angle slopes. Check your style on heel side. Are you stiffening your legs and bending at the waist?

Try to relax your knees and get into a sitting on a chair like posture.

.Stoke.,

Have you detuned the edges of your board near the tip and the tail? Sometimes very sharp edges especially near the ends of the board running surface will cause the board to be squirly and hard to control on flats. If your board is fairly new, this could have some effect.

Unlike skis, you always need to apply pressure to an edge when on a board. It's almost like you can't relax. Skiers have a little advantage in that they can sometimes let their legs relax and let the skis run free on the flats.

One other thing that helps is to keep your shoulders parallel to the board with the front shoulder pointing down the slope. If you point both of your shoulders facing the down the mountain, your natural tendency is the swing the tail around. If this happens, keep you weight on your uphill edge (heel edge in this case). Otherwise, you might be in for a slam if you catch your toe edge.

Let me know if you questions about edge detuning.

Gambare!

Quote:
The board is only 10 days boarding old so I figure it shouldn`t be convexed, not yet anyway.
I am no board expert but skis dont always come out o the factory flat. The explination I got was that the materiels were still stretching settling etc.. so you should get your gear tuned as soon as you buy it.