At the moment there is an interesting discussion program on the nhk about "nihon no shorai" - I think they have the same kind of thing every so often. This time they are talking about US bases in Japan and asking people whether they thing they are necessary or not. People can vote in using their keitais as well.

The program is on for a while so if you are here not watching soccer and interested, worth checking out.

seems the govt is pushing for the Okinawa base to be relocated to Iwakuni (Yamaguchi) just on the boarder of Hiroshima.

In the past, there have been only just a few incidents with servicemen at Iwakuni. The most recent that I can remember was one being shot at by a Yakuza 3 or 4 years ago. There really havent been many issues. But, if you take a look at Okinawa, which is quite often on the news for "incidents" of theft and rape, I would only concluded that those "incidents" would only increase if 3/4 of the military in Japan moved to Yamaguchi.

Yeah, Im sure those residents are now looking forward to having 20,000 marines out on a night on the town :rolleyes:

Lets carnage! lol.gif

cb, last incident was in January. Serviceman beat a Japanese women to a pulp and stole the cash in her wallet from her, leaving her to die from internal bleeding. The serviceman is being tried BY THE JAPANESE for murder (a first--because of past incidents, the American military no longer enjoy extra-territoriality).

These programs started appearing recently in response to (and to try to rally support against) America's proposed re-structuring of its Japan-based military.

I've forgotten all the details, but the US asked japan (and japan agreed) to pay something like 30 tillion yen to help them with the proposed reallignment, which would move 8000 or so soldiers out of Japan and into Guam, as well as make various reallignments within Japan.

Opposition parties have been using the "get the US military out of Japan" line for years. Now that it is actually happening, they are trying to turn the money into a political issue for upcoming elections against the LDP. I like having my cake and eating it too as much as the next guy, but c'mon. Despite a few rare incidents, the Japanese have enjoyed essentially free military protection from the states (and its accompanying economic benefits) for the past 60 years.

Currently, Japan has one of the largest militaries (er, excuse me, "self-defense force") in the world and the second largest miliatry budget in the world.

Does Japan need the US military? No

Does Japan want the US military? Generally, yes.

I was referring to incidents in Hiroshima, not Okinawa. Incidents in Okinawa happen quite often as we all know when we turn on our TVs and think, god....not again?

Currently, Japan has one of the largest militaries (er, excuse me, "self-defense force") in the world and the second largest miliatry budget in the world.

Yes, at their own expense and by buying US made weapons/ships/etc.

Does Japan need the US military? No

Does Japan want the US military? Generally, yes.

You honestly think Japan doesnt need the US and wants it? Id say your answers are backwards IMO.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:
cb, last incident was in January. Serviceman beat a Japanese women to a pulp and stole the cash in her wallet from her, leaving her to die from internal bleeding. The serviceman is being tried BY THE JAPANESE for murder (a first--because of past incidents, the American military no longer enjoy extra-territoriality).
This happened in my hometown Yokosuka, not in Okinawa, CB.

That sounds interesting I have never been to one of those places. Problem is I don't know "somebody" to take me \:\(

My parents have some friends who can take us in there every so often. I really like it, some really good stuff always look forward to it.