Im embarking on a journey through central/south america at the end of june. for obvious reasons, i want to get some travel insurance. the cheaper and more basic the better. anyone know of any good options? or any advice on travelling that part of the world?

If you have a Citibank Visa card, you can get some travel insurance coverage just by charging part of your travel with your card. This can include only charging something like your train fare in Japan to the airport (like NaritaExpress).

Other than that, you might want to try American Home Direct.

I'm trying to find the English information now. I'll post up the info when I can, or you can check on the Citicard website (I'd post it, but the PDF document kept locking up my browser).

Or you can call 0120-110-785 to ask questions directly about the amount of coverage you may have.

My understanding is that this "CitiAssist Insurance" is "automatic" as long as you make the aforementioned travel-related purchase with your card. The amount of coverage you get depends on the type of card you have; I believe it is handled through an partnership they have with Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance.

If I was heading to central/south america the last thing I'd do is skimp on decent insurance.

Shitt happens and it's better to have the forces of money on your side.

On saying that, a few years back, I had no insurance when I was trooping around asia - including Nepal & India - truly believing that crap only happens to those not mindful.

In retrospect - just damn lucky.

Many horror stories abound.

After 4 months travelling I ended up with a broken ankle in NZ not covered by my 'permanent travel insurance'. Better read the small print carefully before picking an insurance.

don't skimp on insurance..

I & my bro have had malaria many a time, long story short, bro visited me in Japan, Cerebal Malaria kicked in 10 days in ICU @ 1,000,000 per day, well worth it!

My credit card covers the short trips that i take, if you have a gold card it ususlly covers ya family, but best to check up..

> Sanno tells: Better read the small print carefully before picking an insurance

Sure. Many people misunderstand that their credit card can cover damages during oversea trip in "all" cases. "One has to pay the travel charge by his/her credit card." If you pay Greyhound fare by cash, accidents during the bus trip are not covered by your credit card.