A gay friend sent this on.....

Thought I'd share.

10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong!

01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

in canada we are working towards (i think) a reasonable comprimise. on a legal basis, the practice is totally recognized and legitamate. but from a religious stance, chuches have the right to either except or reject gay marriage on the basis of religious freedom. so basically, all chuches have the legal right to perform the ceremony, but at the same time any church has the legal right to not perform the ceremony if said church finds the practice unexceptable within its spiritual boundaries.

• 1 year later...

Good points!

But c'mon - d'ya reckon Ma and Pa Kettle are gonna laugh at those points, or are they gonna look at those points and think they were said seriously - and then agree with them (assuming they were serious). Check out the radicals who were protesting outside Heath Ledgers memorial service because he portrayed a gay man ON FILM....go figure!

I understand the church having the right to accept or reject church sanctified gay marriages - when thier beliefs are saying it is 'wrong' then it is a bit silly to expect them to come around. But I can not understand the hoohar about civil gay marriages. Love who you want, live with who you want and commit to who you want. Surely committed relationships - gay or otherwise - are healthy for our communities.

Love who you want. Have faith in who you want. But don't push it in my face.

I don't tell you how to live, you don't tell me how to live. That's how I feel about religion. All religions and faiths. Oh, but we have the law. I can live with that and I can play there too. A matter of knowing the rules of the game, instead of having it dictated to you and changed at whim.

Originally Posted By: thursday.

I feel the same Thurs.
I don't really understand the Sydney gay mardi gras (the biggest gay festival in the world). They say it's a celebration of gay culture...., gay culture? WTF is that? ...Your gay, well done, congratulations, what an achievement. Lets go celebrate.

I don't tell you how to live, you don't tell me how to live. That's how I feel about religion. All religions and faiths. Oh, but we have the law. I can live with that and I can play there too. A matter of knowing the rules of the game, instead of having it dictated to you and changed at whim.

I thoroughly agree!

It's too bad however that in most countries where there is "freedom of/from religion", the laws were penned by Anglo-Christians, so what they really had in mind when they wrote the laws was "freedom to choose which particular Christian denomination you want". This is particularly true in the USA where "In God We Trust" appears on the currency and there is a National Cathedral in Washington DC. Where the F is the National Mosque or the National Buddhist Temple if it supposed to be all equal and free?

Not quite right. Yurrup follows Roman Law, and the UK Common Law (lawyers correct me if I'm wrong). Neither owe anything to Christianity. The US is the only western country where politicians need to Worship The Lawd in order to stand a chance of erection.

Yurrup (broadly speaking) has spent 500 years and countless lives getting the dead hand of The Church off our backs. It is called "The Renaissance".

Originally Posted By: Mantas

I feel the same Thurs.
I don't really understand the Sydney gay mardi gras (the biggest gay festival in the world). They say it's a celebration of gay culture...., gay culture? WTF is that? ...Your gay, well done, congratulations, what an achievement. Lets go celebrate.

Ok so our governments are allowing gay people to have a public demonstration and festival of thier preclusions - yet are not allowing them to 'marry'....? Something wrong with this picture? I would think that two men or two women who want to commit to each other in marriage and live a private life would be less offensive to the vast majority of people than a big huge clashing and clanging parade down the streets with men in drag and copious amounts of pleather. These Mardi Gras IMHO represent a certain group within the gay community...I know a few who revel in them, but I also know a few gay people who feel the Mardi Gras adversely effects thier serious efforts to find equality of recognition of thier relationships.

It is not my battle. But I feel for the gay couples who dont parade up thier suburban street in leather chaps to the sound of Macho Man, and just simply want to marry thier life long love. wakaranai.gif
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
...I also know a few gay people who feel the Mardi Gras adversely effects thier serious efforts to find equality of recognition of thier relationships.

Quite true. It won't be the first (or last) time where well-intentioned people have inadvertently drawn the wrong kind of attention to a cause.
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
It is not my battle. But I feel for the gay couples who dont parade up thier suburban street in leather chaps to the sound of Macho Man, and just simply want to marry thier life long love. wakaranai.gif

there's lots of other issues that flow on from not allowing gay marriage - i'm not sure of the current siuation in oz, but definitely a few years ago gay relationships weren't recognised as de facto relationships. hence, if one person died, their partner had a massive battle to try to protect what should be their rightful assets (their share of the home, superannuation etc etc)
what's the situation in japan?

Oxford Street in Sydney early Sunday morning is a sight to behold!! Its like a Right Said Fred Lookalike convention!! lol.gif

I guess Mardi Gras stems from even more stricter times where people hid who they were ALL the time, so when they all came together there was annonymity in numbers and they flamboyantly shouted who they were. I guess nowadays, although still not exactly as open as the Hetero society, Mardi Gras doesn't really mean what it started out to be!!