"Spot Columbo"my new commuting passtime

Commuting an hour and a half a day I tend to get pretty bored, but recently I have come up with a fun new diversion, and this I'd like to share.

You know how so many people wear those jacket/tench coat things over their suits in winter. I always thought they were so dull and all part of the greater dullness that is commuting. It strikes me as wierd that all these people aspire to look like Detective Columbo off that cheese TV show. As it happens there's inevitably a site devoted to Columbo\'s trenchcoat , which, mundanely enough, is a raincoat.

In my boredom the other day I suddenly came up with the idea of catagorizing all of these bad coat wearers. Now I'm constantly cracking up over the variations I can dish out to what previously seemed so dull. These aspiring detectives are a richly diverse bunch. A few sub-tribes off the top of my head are:

'chain smoker Columbo'

'collar-up Columbo'

'flasher suspect Columbo'

'cross-dresser Columbo'

'just got up after sleeping on the floor Columbo'

'halitosis Columbo'-close proximity not recommended

'mask wearing Columbo'

'office lady Columbo'

'above the knee Columbo'

'Burburry Columbo' aka 'Chav salaryman'

'red faced boozer Columbo'

'dressing to look like the boss Columbo'

Coming up with these endless monikers has been keeping my small mind amused all week. Make the most of it though, "Spot Columbo" is a winter only game. Happy spotting \:D

me too mina2,

I had to go through 20 mins each way for a year ( just finished) happy as hell that I don't have to step foot on public transport again!

Davo, that's 90mins total? or each way?

It's ok guys \:\) 90 minutes is the total, though it's sometimes a little more. That's including the walk to and from the station while I'm in the city. It's a small price to pay for living out in the burbs, next to the hills, and far from the mush that is downtown. I like the area I live in so much that I don't count my 5 minute bike ride to the station as part of the commute.

It's not that busy and I always get a good position or seat on the way in as I live so far out. But...commuting still sucks.

Keep em comin guys. Kumapix,the trenchcoat is the perfect disguise for 'chikan Columbo'

Girl:It was the guy in the trenchcoat

Cop:Which one?

Lucky for you Bushpig, 'comb over Columbo' is one of my favorites.

Quite a few 'metrosexual Columbo's' in the city, it ain't just an oyaji gig by any means.

I have the Sony MP3 player big-will. Have to download "Watching the detective's" by Elvis Costello to go with my theme.

Quote:
'office lady Columbo'
This one is curious, seems to go against all the lovely OL uniforms I see every day. \:\)

OK, today I spotted one more member of the columbo species: Square Columbo (as in straight-laced, geek-like, but not geek as in into anime), perhaps I should call him smarty-pants columbo...

"Horizontal Columbo"

People may find this hard to believe, but in the bubble years there was so much money-fueled drinking going on that you could see horizontal columbos dotted all the way down city arcades, especially on Friday nights. Sometimes there would be a bevy of tottering columbos standing around them wondering what to do with them, but more often they would be lying there all by themselves. Then all of a sudden when the money went pop, they disappeared entirely.

Indo, is 'padlock Columbu' one to be wary of for any particular reason? The horizontal variety is still common enough, though most make it home these days, not so many taxi chits being redeemed down at the koban to make it viable behaviour.

mamachari?

I often see a Host Columbo on the train I use. It seems like a contradiction, but he exists - hair, make up and all. I'll have to try and take a photo.