It seems that the US has beaten Japan at baseball. Just a small matter of the US coach talking to the ref to have Japan's points annulled - and they've won! Yesss! Perform a quick pantomime of punching somebody in the gut.

Yah that really sucked didn't it

I was watching that live yesterday morning. They even showed on replay that the guy left the base alright.

I'd have loved for Japan to kick America's ass at their own sport \:D

Kind of like I love watching the Mongolians and Bulgarians kick Japan's ass in Sumo \:D

I don't like watching other countries kick Canada's ass in Hockey though mad.gif

It's not ref it's umpire. It was a questionable call and the ump clearly didn't have confidence in his own decision. But I don't think you could tell wether the runner tagged up in time or not by what was shown on TV.

Anyway, I live in Japan and was cheaaring for Japan. But Iichiro can take his game back home for all I care.

> the ump clearly didn't have confidence in his own decision

In those cases it's always best to rely on a disinterested party, such as one of the coaches.

BTW, as Stephen Jay Gould proves, Coach Oo was wrong about the American origins of baseball.

yeah a bunch of the staff here are crowded into the little coffee room corner and are watching it... No doubt they'll stay at work till 9 because they are busy. Good ol Japanese efficiency thumbsup.gif

Pretty interesting tournament despite the organizational debacle. Hopefully they'll correct the umpire situation, lack of crossover brackets, star players sitting out, time of the year, etc. next time around in 2009.

Japan wuz robbed though, definitely. Homeplate ump Davidson seemed to be on a powertrip in overruling the 2nd base ump.

Was Japan robbed today (v. Korea)? I thought that ump had a pretty high tolerance for the outside plate strike zone(for a right handed hitter). But it probably didn't decide the game.

It's like the US Olympic basketball pre-dream teams. These games don't have any signifigance yet. It's about as funny as American soccer. Flat out it just isn't taken seriously.

It's not taken seriously by the teams and players who go? I'm sure they still don't want to lose, regardless of how the tournament might be viewed by fans. The US soccer team seems to take the world cup pretty seriously...

Of course, the players who play are competitive. But it's not a big enough event to attract all the big players or financing to take them to the highest levels. I'm talking about fans. I played NCAA baseball and called one of my teamates to get his opinion about the US/Japan game and he had no clue that there was a world tournament. Soccer is viewed in this way as well in the US. The financing and attention isn't avaliable to attract top notch competition. Hell, Korea could take the whole thing. Does that mean Korea has the best baseball on Earth? There are other factors involved and I'm just saying, from an American point of view, this little competition is insignifigant to me but to a Puerto Rican or Panamanian it might be major.

Yeah, I hear you Kintaro. But one participating country's lack of importance placed on a tournament doesn't make the tournament less significant to all the other countries involved. It would be great if the US did place more significance on it eh! I know this gets said a lot, but a world series which involves only American teams can hardly be called a world series right? Anyway, I'm probably just arguing for the sake of being argumentative here Kintaro ;\) It will be good if this does gain some significance in US baseball circles, which will only happen if and when, as you mention, high profile players start to participate. In the meantime, go Nippon!

I'm 100% with you Bushpig. And I'm not trying to be a dick here but the MLB 'World Series' also includes Canadian teams (but is still hardly a 'world series'), but I know what you're talking about. I agree, I hope this thing gains significance in all global circles were baseball is played.

Go Nippon!! clap.gif

Haha, cricket and baseball are equally boring to most people.

Anyways, sweet justice, Japan was the deserving 2nd team in the semifinal seeing how the 2nd round games went. Now, this is the Korea game that matters the most, and if Japan can pull off a win, the earlier two losses will be forgiven. Should be an epic game!

Can't believe they let Davidson in a game again though. All the more reason to make the conspiracy theorists sound true. Bud's an idiot (WBC's a great idea, but very poorly executed).

> Have you played a lot of baseball then Ocean?

No, I try to avoid doing things that bore me. Stick and ball games are fairly stupid anyway, but cricket has a certain redeeming gracefulness about it (which can best be appreciated by playing it). Baseball only seems like recreation if you've been standing making Model T Fords all day, or mining coal.

Why is a US referee allowed to judge games in which he presumably has an interest?

"> Have you played a lot of baseball then Ocean?

No, I try to avoid doing things that bore me. Stick and ball games are fairly stupid anyway, but cricket has a certain redeeming gracefulness about it (which can best be appreciated by playing it). Baseball only seems like recreation if you've been standing making Model T Fords all day, or mining coal. "

Haha, stop contradicting yourself.

Anyways, Japan finally beats Korea, resoundingly, with a 6-0 domination. Uehara pitched an awesome game, and Japanese bats finally came alive for the big inning. Now it's onto the finals against Cuba in the disaster final matchup MLB wanted to avoid. Matsuzaka against the Cuban lineup, this is gonna be good.