There's a new documentary starting here in the UK tonight on BBC called Planet Earth. It looks awesome. Been filmed on hi-def and the clips I have seen have been just incredible - especially one of a shark coming out of the water to catch a seal.... slowed down to 1/40 speed. Really looking forward to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4776224.stm

Bit of a vid here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ifs_news/hi/newsid_4770000/newsid_4772900/nb_rm_4772984.stm

And some environmentalists would like us to all live in the forest fending for ourselves. Let me be the first to invite them to do so and try not to be eaten by lions, tigers and bears, oh my.

Maybe they could put together 4 years of work on how things are becoming extinct. Until then when people do work like this it might just be to get people thinking and to get involved.

It might. But you also think skiers and snowboarders would get the hint. I see idiots act in the rudest way to the environment that allows them to ski and snowboard.

In this day and age, i agree with the criticism. We are already too late in telling people about this. Where in the Japanese media does it tell you that 25% of the worlds fishing areas are critically overfished, and a full 50% are at their limit? Or that Tuna stocks are down 90% from the 1950s? Have people here who see footage of tuna fishing weekly hear any of this?

We live in a critical time, and it seems most humans are too stupid to make the connection between our lifestyles and the damage beind sustained by the earth. At the local snowboard shop, i constantly have to tell some dumb-ass customer to stop idling his truck. Here is a conversation i had the other day when two guys were sitting in their idling SUV watching me skateboard

me-`So, do you guys snowboard?`

guys (looking nervous about having a forigner approach them in the safety of their SUV)- `Um, well, yes...`

me-`So, whaddya think about global warming? Kinda scary for snowboarders, ne?`

guys (not getting the hint)- well, yeah.

me-`What do you think causes global warming?`

guys (still clueless)- `CO2 from vehicles, i guess..`

me (trying so hard not to be sarcastic my tummy was hurting)- `Then could you pretty please stop idling you truck?`

guys (finally getting it)- `Um, oh yeah, sure`

The guys leave VERY shortly after the conversation.

I am convinced that mere `getting people thinking` is too little too late. But regardless, any little bit helps. As long is it can make people think, and not just go `wow, big shark`.

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
Planet Earth. It looks awesome. Been filmed on hi-def ... Really looking forward to it.
You live on the effing thing, yet you are really looking forward to seeing it on TV?! I can't work that one out. But hey, its in high definition digital! Why anyone would own a tv in the first place utterly stumps me, they are plug in anti-life boxes.

Bloody hell... you take everything so goddam seriously - you must have a permenant headache. If I didn't know you were so content and maybe not quite as pretentious as you sometimes sound, I might actually feel sorry for you ;\)

Quote:
You live on the effing thing, yet you are really looking forward to seeing it on TV?!
I don't get much of a chance to see the things they showed on there, especially at 9pm on a Sunday night. I'm sure you don't either.

I don't watch much tv but that was really good.

ahhh, smarty pants. I am content, best time of my life is right now, the alps have everything to do with it, although I am massively using more fossil fuels than ever before.

Doco's are the only useful thing on TV if they serve to awaken people as to what is outside their window.

(ps - I may have high standards and spout self righteous shit, but I'm not pretentious ;\) )

You are obviously a sad uneducated peasant for

a) owning a tv and

B) going so low as to watching a decent documentary programme on a Sunday evening, BagOfCrisps.

I'm above all that, of course, I was out doing more cultured things.

And anyway I live on earth and so I can see all these wonders of nature at any time any day.

(PS Bring the vid in tomorrow will ya so I can watch it this week. Cheers!)

lol.gif

I thought that was quite funny actually.

But it surely made me sit back and seriously ponder a few things about my life. Here was me thinking that I was just relaxing on a Sunday night and enjoying a bit of decent entertainment - but now I know it is much more serious than that.

I can't make it tomorrow night 2 pints, but I've got the vid if you want. (It is actually repeated on Saturday night, you know.)

The hi definition digital is not only just the fact that things will look prettier. It lets them film things in great detail from a great distance without disturbing or alerting the animals so they can behave naturally. They're getting a lot of 'never seen before' footage and the like.

I'd like to see it.

I watched Deep Blue a while ago on video on a wet Sunday, and it was far more gripping watching than one of those dumb films with a contrived plot and lots of meaningless violence. Actually, Deep Blue was full of meaningless violence come to think of it - sea creatures are just viciously brutal.

But indeed, if had been marginally less wet, I would have preferred to be out in the bamboo forest.

• 2 months later...