Been thinking about getting some beacons for myself and some friends soon, here's a few links for anyone else interested:

Ortovox http://www.ortovox.com/

Barryvox/Mamut http://www.barryvox.com/index_e.html

Backcountry Access http://www.bcaccess.com/

Life-Link http://www.life-link.com/

Survival on Snow (SOS) http://www.sos-find.com/

PIEPS DSP

interesting review:

http://www.skipatrolbc.com/beacons.asp

Still trying to learn what to look for in beacons, so was wondering if anyone has advice here.

I have only ever used 2 so I'm not much of a judge but..

I went with the most small and comfortable to wear so that I would never want to not wear it. Being that you almost never need to do anything with it but wear it I thought that this was fairly important. I got the barryvox.

All good beacons. I've used them all at one point and although they are all a bit different, if you know how to use a beacon, they are all fairly easy to learn. Our team uses mainly Ortovox as we get pro deals on them but BCAccess has been selling tons of theirs due to it's ease of use. Just remember that the point is that you never should have to use them if you are smart enough to stay away from danger in the first place. If you have to use one, most likely you didn't do your homework. Also if you have to use one, there's a very high probabiliy that it wil be a body recovery and not a rescue. Just a thought there.

still looking around, but will probably go for the BCA-Tracker.

also, the other day I was asking a salesperson at Ishii Sports about shovels. He mentioned the plastic-bladed models are kinda worthless, recommended the heavier steel blades. How about aluminum? Is that going to be strong enough for snow when it's really icy or like concrete?

If anyone has had to actually dig in the wake of an av, it is like digging through concrete - how effective would the plastic blade be ? ? ? I know the plastic shovel is going to be a little lighter in the pack then a steel or aluminium one, but, will it be up to scratch when it is really needed ?

Btw, BCAccess   'Companion' shovel stores a probe in the handle of the shovel, saving space, and keeping it handy in times of need.

Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:

Btw, BCAccess   'Companion' shovel stores a probe in the handle of the shovel, saving space, and keeping it handy in times of need.
Yeah, was looking for that model, but no luck yet. Know any stores in Tokyo that carry it?
 Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:
If anyone has had to actually dig in the wake of an av, it is like digging through concrete - how effective would the plastic blade be ? ? ? I know the steel or aluminium one is going to be a little lighter in the pack, but, will it be up to scratch when it is really needed ?

I've skiied accross debri and it can be rock hard. I've heard of people loosing there finger nails trying to dig. A plastic shovel may not break but it might bounce.

That's what yer ice axe is for...

I'm a little confused by SoC's post. He seems to be suggesting that nothing will be of much use, which, if your mate's under a meter of conccrete and you left the jack-hammer at home that day, is probably true.

I've got both really, one for "work" and one for play. Play is plastic lifelink and work is Voile aluminum extreme. I don't like the BCA combo shovel. It's too heavy and cumbersome and the probe inside is too small. Shovelling through avy debris is exactly like concrete, it's next to impossible to dig in. Aluminum I much prefer to use but not to carry. The life Link blades are lexan which are really hard to break but they do break. I'd say the best advice is to take as many avy classes as you can and practice reading the snow so you can avoid ever needing your shovel to dig anyone out. Chances of finding a victim alive even with a beacon are pretty slim. And if you do, you usually have first aid to administer, then you've got to get them and you out of there fast. The odds are really really really stacked against you...

Worthy discussion people. If anyone is interested I carry BC Access beacons, shovels and probes along with other makers of shovels and backcountry gear in my pro shop. As far as beacons are concerned I have 2 in stock ex overseas at a price I cannot repeat after they are sold. Only sell what I use and believe in. My prices on snow safety equipment is the best in Japan everything else is what you would expect to pay; it costs a lot of money to get kitted for saftey so I try and soften the blow because it's something I consider to be important that everyone should have. If interested email me as long as you are not a time waster or unrealistic.

Dear Miteyak

I am at a complete and utter loss as to see the relevance/similarity between an 'icy dwelling' and avalanche debris. You maybe into a snow/icy dwelling experience that other amongst us are unaware of - is it fun?

One of my riding buddies went through two Lifelink shovels before he tired of taking them back to the shop for claims; not a bad effort for a 54 year old 48kg Japanese without an 'icy dwelling' or avalanche debris involved. I think he still has the broken blade from the last one...

Very good stripper, a relevant post. My point about your post, however, was not to ridicule, but merely ascertain the meaning behind it. Your post suggests, to my mind, that all lightweight shovels, metal or plastic, are unsuitable for the job of avalanche debris clearing. Care to clarify?

I have only used my shovel for digging snow caves and avalanche test pits, and only witnessed one (live) avalanche (and unless I join a mountain rescue team, I hope to keep it that way). My post was to state that the shovel was pretty damn tough in my opinion, but I, like most here, are open to others experiences.

Snow caves... more fun than carrying a tent...