A re-contracting fee is normal (at least in Tokyo) practice and Japanese pay it too - even if it is technically not required. A few times when I have protested my wife made it very clear that I shut up about it. Since moving out of Tokyo, we have made sure before signing a contract that we won't have to pay to extend the contract.

I suspect that this and key money will disappear along with 1/2 the population of Japan in the next 30 years...

> A few times when I have protested my wife made it very clear that I shut up about it.

If you have a poke around, you should be able to find an 'Override' button on there somewhere. It can be useful for occasions like that, but pressing it unnecessarily can lead to malfunction.

My recontract is coming in May. I'm living here for 4years now and don't want to pay one month reikin again. I've been looking for a condo near the beach, somewhere I can see the ocean from the window. It's my dream.

Yes, I will pay it. It's normal here in Tokyo.

When I buy a condo near the beach and will rent that place to someone else, I'll ask one month reikin every two years, too. ;\)