Funny though - Nautical Miles will probably always exist internationally for sea and air travel.

Linear measurement is just too easy in metric, same with weights and measures.

Reminds me of Jabberwocky (Monty Python) - '... the famous inventer of the inverted firkin.' lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by firedog23:
As an American I wish we would make the change. Imperial system was made in a time long ago and when you look at it, it really makes you think "what were they thinking back then" when you can do it based on tens (km)....
agreed! And, just to show my ignorance I thought peeps in England did use Kilos?? wakaranai.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by firedog23:
As an American I wish we would make the change. Imperial system was made in a time long ago and when you look at it, it really makes you think "what were they thinking back then" when you can do it based on tens (km)....
Firedog23, actually there still are some other old method like that in Japan as well.

e.g. "sun and shaku" ( don't pronounce the "sun" like it in English way, do it as Spanish or Italians do!)
I think a sun is roughly 3.3cms, a shaku is 10 suns(33cms)
My parents sometimes mention about it which I totally don't understand. They are never used in any public documents any more though. But when older generations order some kimono, they usually tell the size in the sun and shaku.

:rolleyes:
 Quote:
Originally posted by number9:
Are things other than speed limits and distance in metric in the UK?
Just about everything is metric except drinks. You can still walk a mile to drink a pint.

The nautical mile will always be with us because it is the distance travelled at the Earth's surface when you pass through one second of arc, measured at the centre.

I had dinner with an English guy last night and he asked me how many stones I weighed. I've got to admit I was clueless...I replied that it depended on the size of the stones. confused.gif