Are they going to get Horie-shacho

Young hot-shot company president who tried to take on the media establishment in Japan last year by doing some nifty share and stock buy-outs. His company is an internet service provider, and he claimed he wanted to give the crusty media a shake-up and drag them into the internet age. He also ran as a non-endorsed LDP candidate in last years elections in Japan(ie he wasn't on the party ballot but the LDP agreed not to field an opposing candidate because they knew he'd support Koizumi's reform plans for the postal privatization). He lost.

He was in the news every other day last year. I got quite sick of seeing his pumpkin head...

Seems they are after him on 2 counts of lying to increase the price of his shares.

One was releasing a statement that they were going to buy a publishing company when they had already bought it.

Didn't quite get the 2nd one.

It's not like any big company anywhere in the world is "honest", right? Competitive people tend to run companies and they'll do anything, including using loopholes in laws to something outright illegal, to get an edge on the competition. Heck, nice guys finish last :p You can't climb to the top of the corporate ladder, or build up a decent sized company, without kicking down your competition, can't be a nice guy. Seems to be human nature, not particularly a Japanese trait. And for all the "Japanese are sheep" comments, top executives of Japanese companies seem to be very strong individuals, not unlike any other country.

Anyways, Horie stepped on a lot of toes of the old guard and burned many bridges. I with him the best of luck. But even without luck, I reckon he's resilient enough to come out of this rather fine.