Health Insurance help!!!!!!

Before anyone says anything, Yes I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for!

I was kindly informed by my sh#t insurance company that because I suffer from asthma my insurance is null and void and that I can't get insurance in Japan because of this! mad.gif

Anyway I am seriously tired of getting the run around and bad service from these clowns and need some advice or suggestion for an overseas co that does health insurance here in Japan (even for asthmatics) at a reasonable cost.

Actually any helpful advice would be welcome! A big thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

The Asthmatic SB

ok this is highly secret but..

i know some people who don't tell their insurance company that they suffer from asthma.

apparently adult-onset asthma is quite common so if they have problems, they are treated by their doctor & can claim it on insurance.

not that i want to support such shady activities, but.. well.. i've heard it's been done.

ps. watch out for theorum. my doctor prescribed it for my asthma & i nearly had a heart attack, my heart was being so fast & i couldn't sleep as i was all jittery & totally felt like i was on speed.

checked on the internet & aussie health sites say theorum is generally only used for really acute cases.

checked with my japanese doctor & he said, 'ah yes, that is very normal. but you stopped coughing, didn't you?'

yeah i stopped coughing, but with all my nervous energy, i was climbing the walls at 3am!

Sakebomb, did you try AlicoJapan and Aflac ?

They sometimes have some insurance plans which don't need so strict notifications, just some notification needed. I am not sure if their plans could help your asthmatics, so please just ask them. The web pages above are Japanese though.

Make sure, what you need, hospitalization insurance, attending insurance or surgery insurance.

Also, make sure how much an insurance covers the cost.

Some of my insurance covers more than 1,000 days hospitalization but some does 735 days.

Quote:
i know some people who don't tell their insurance company that they suffer from asthma.
Actually thats what I have been doing, the insurance guy also suggested this. wakaranai.gif .

My concern is that I have to pay my monthly payments which may become a waste if hospitalised for asthma! also I have family responsibilities!

Gamera, thanks but they are the companies I am having some issues with!

Sakebomb:

What sort of policy are you after?

i.e. Are you on the National scheme, and looking for something to prop you up if you get sick?

Or are you looking for total coverage that will refund you the full amount?

If you are on the National scheme (or a work scheme) then Gams suggestion of aflag etc may be best.

I've heard of a company that does cover you in Japan (but can't for the life of me remember the name \:\( ). It allows you to get out of the national scheme, but when we checked it out it was very expensive. If I remember the name I'll update this post.

Thanks Misorano, I am on the NHI scheme and that is OK for us just looking for the extra prop up and the wife is starting to worry about when I die! (Just kidding, it is a family responsibility that if something happens then my wife and child can lead a happier life when I am gone).

I am currently with Aflac but because I have asthma they 'say' that they cannot offer any insurance because off this! Sounds crazy- so if I break an arm I am OK but if I tell the doctor I also have asthma my insurance is invalid!

My local reps for Aflac have been nothing but useless so I am hoping someone here can be more helpful than them!

I use these people . I don't know what their policy on asthma is but they don't have any dangerous sports exclusions and cover you worldwide so you don't need additional travel insurance. They fly your body to wherever home is & will pay for the flight of a close relative to join you if things get very serious. I haven't had any problems with them in the last four years.

They offer life insurance but I don't have it.

On the subject of insurance does anyone have possessions insurance? I use John Wason . Their website is a bit tempermental but I've never had any problems contacting them by email or post. They cover loss & theft of your stuff ouside the house (worldwide) up to a certain amout too. When setting it up I gave them the example that if my tent blew away in a typhoon would it be covered and they said it would! They include 100% earthquake cover too. If it happens & we live to claim I think most of the Tokyo companies would be declaring bankrupcy.

I'm with Interglobal too. Fortunately I haven't needed to claim. One of my friends has and he said they were really good. I actually mailed Interglobal to ask whether I was covered for for winter sports and they added it for no extra charge. I'm not sure what it covers though. I always take out another winter sports insurance (for about 5000 yen) anyway.

Some things that helped me choose Interglobal were repatriation (ship your body home) and a trip home if a close relative pops off. As you may have noticed, some other companies have loads of exceptions and really high excesses.

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
the wife is starting to worry about when I die!
Gotta watch the Japanese ladies and life insurance policies!
I'm covered for some ridiculous amount if I die, and haven't stepped near a cliff since!

sakebomb, I dunno if you are still looking or not, but I am with interglobal and they won't cover me for asthma. They add an exclusion or something like that which allows you to claim on everything else but not the asthma. Pretty f-d up eh! Other than that though, they are very good on making claims and I haven't had any hassles.

actually the exclusion period is 2 years. IF you don't make claim (actually, if you don't receive treatment) for it in the two years from commencement then the exclusion comes off. Pretty stupid really. "Oh hey! My asthma which I had to get an exclusion for, mysteriously stopped for two years! Now it's back again!" Where's the logic in that? I just stock up on my asthma shit whenever I go back.