A guy reversed into the side of my car (...well the company holiday car) this morning while I was sitting in the car park of a tyre shop (changing to snow tyres \:D ). I saw him coming and was blasting my horn at him but he didn't stop. He only realised I was there when he got out to see why he couldn't go back any further. He asked me what had happened and I explained. I told him that I had beeped the horn at him but he said that he was sorry and that he hadn't heard it. He was 82 & had a hearing aid. When I told him I was working at an eye clinic he said he had cataracts and did my clinic operate on them!

The policeman recommended he get a rear view camera for his car. Surely he should be recommending that he start taking the bus?

No you don't - that car is just for all the staff to use on their days off. It's an Estima with a ski carrier on the roof so we just sign up to borrow it when we want to go up to the mountains. I have no idea why the blind, deaf 82-year old was having snow tyres put on his huge Pajero in November in Yokohama though...

Unlucky Jane, about 4 months ago somebody drove straight into the side of me in similarly unbelievable fashion.

He pulled out of a side road straight into me mad.gif , there was nothing blocking his view and yet he chose the very instant that I was passing infront of him to pull off. I parked up and was all ready to have a shout when the bloke got out of his car. Turned out he was an OAP (old age pensioner) of about 80 who was unable to talk. I can only guess how he lost his ability to speak but all he could do was write things down on a pad and pen.

The other iritating thing was that he whiffed distinctly of booze and on smelling that I imediatly called the police. He obviously hadn't lost his ability to be a total git when he lost his ability to talk because on hearing I was calling the police he got back in his car and drove off. mad.gif It was the middle of the day in the city centre and I'm not the kind of person who would feel comfortable forcibly restraining and old man in broad daylight with all the world watching so I let him go, as I had got his name and car reg anyway and I doubted he was stealing cars at 80.

In the end I got £400 out of it from his insurence and replaced the door he had caved in for £80. So in this case the cloud did have a silver lining. clap.gif

Personally I think that you should have to retake your test at a certain age. If it is deamed that I have to pay more for insurence as statistically young drivers have more accidents, then the elderly should have to retake their tests as statistically when you reach a certain age you slow down, undeniably physically and I'm not positive but I would assume in many cases mentally as well.

If I see him on the slopes I'll be giving him a very wide berth!

Totally agree Bonio about the retaking the test thing. You have to reapply for your license every 3 years after 70 in the UK. Process doesn't seem to involve any medical checks though unless you drive minibuses.

That brown and yellow waterdrop(?) looks like a falling leaf. Whether they intended or not, nice contrast to the green new leaf for new drivers :p

homerdonut.jpg

"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

What happened with this me jane? Hear anything else?

I know someone near me who was backing into their parking space and ran over their mother - killing them!! eek.gif Pretty shocking incident that one.

Glad to hear you are OK me jane!

Do people actually use their rear vision mirrors here? I thought I was the only one!

.....I was lucky enough to get T-barred by some drunk izakaya staff runnin a red light last month.

Unf#1kin believable.

Be careful out there!

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
.....I was lucky enough to get T-barred by some drunk izakaya staff runnin a red light last month.
Unf#1kin believable.
eek.gif What happened?
Hope you at least got some insurance money out of them. Are you okay now?

Thanks Britgob, yep its all sorted now. His insurance paid everything.

Not a blind driver today, but a pedestrian. He was walking towards me facing the traffic, so I pulled over to the right to give him plenty of space and he just veered across the road straight at me. I was on ice, so I couldn`t stop. I'd have been wearing him on the bonnet for sure, if he hadn't twigged at the last moment and stopped. As it was he slipped, and if he'd gone down I would have run over his legs. When I did stop he was level with the back door and about a metre from it. He just smiled and walked off. Effing stroll on, that was a horrible moment. No2 son learned some new vocabulary today.

On a lighter note, a few years ago I staked a tyre at about 120 kph, and the practical little chap helped me change the wheel. I was interested to know how well the learned the procedure, so a couple of weeks later I asked him: "What do you do when you get a puncture?" Came the reply, "First you say SHIT".

S'briquet - reminds me of a similar incident with my daughter a while back that shook me up a little.

Apparently I'm often muttering/complaining about others road manners in the car (according to the wife) and on this occasion when a guy suddenly braked ahead of me and turned without any indication, my 7yr old said "f'ing Jeezus".

I said nothing and have been trying reeeaaallly hard of late to correct my ways. \:o