Always manage to fit in a pre new year/new year ski trip with the wife & kid, usually with a couple of close friends or a family.

My daughter finished kindergarten this year and a group of "kindergarten families" have been trying to get a group trip organized for years. This year it's happening.

Cept a few BIG probs have evolved - for me.

Originally we and a nice family (2kids) were going for 3 days, and later met on the 4th day by 3 more families for 2 days.

We found a nice 3br house to rent for the first 3 days and then move to 5 individual cabins for the latter 5 family stay.

Last night we had the big get-together party to finalize plans and now the first 3 days stay has suddenly become 11 kids and 5 adults in the house. And for night 4 the 21 of us will now bunk down in 4 cabins (1 cabin sleeps 4 in 2 bunkbeds) as "We don't need 5 cabins - it's a waste" The families are all fine, just my image of a relatively relaxing time has vaporized.

I actually instigated the whole trip idea, so I can't really back out of it without some serious "huhhs" being put.

Also we are poles apart in what constitutes having a good time. For me the idea of the men sitting around on the floor drinking tons of beer and eating nabe(bluh) and the women joining in after, while kids run happily amok, is not a welcoming end of year present. This is what last night was like. In fact they were all keen to get another place with only 2br coz it was ichi man cheaper.

"Wow - two 8 mat rooms, is plenty of space for us - 8 kids/adults in a room."

I kinda talked them out of that - or my wife did.

Our other buddies on previous trips were all excellent cooks, into interesting food and we always polished off a few nice bottles of red with the obligatory smattering of cheeses & crackers, real coffee, gourmet tid-bits, chocolates etc. A treat at the years end.

Don't get me wrong I like the kids and adults going - really nice - but I think there are some big cultural differences in how people enjoy themselves. eg - I was almost applauded when asked if I could enter an onsen, and I replied yes I could I even enjoy a good soak. Sheeeshhh!!!

Just for the buckets of money (from my humble purse) needed, it doesn't represent good holiday value, mentally & physically to boot.

Maybe I'm just a whining pryk who is selfish and can't see the all the +ives.

Anyone care to comment on this boring but bearing down on me topic.

Has anyone been in such a position - I mean not just for a day or two but for 5 days?

wakaranai.gif

That's the problem when you organize for big groups. You have to set out firm rules from the get-go and if they do not like it then they can organize by themselves.

Personally I do not like big groups. Sounds like you were too nice and got suckered. You should tell them that there are now too many people involved and that it makes it impossible for you to manage the whole process and therefore each family should organize their onw accomodation.

You could point out that now you've already done the big beer and nabe party with patronising the foreigner as a traditional side dish, it's time to do something different for new year. Recommend that they all try the wine and interesting food this time.

Serre - Yeh I don't like big groups either. The problem this time was the group size suddenly expanded within 20mins. Everyone except our original friends were too busy or working at new year to come, hence meeting up on the 4th day.

But it seems only 3 of the adults were unavailable at that time. So when all the free mums & dads heard we were going early (our kinda private pre-big group trip) they thought great, now we CAN all be together. Telling them to find different accomodation coz the groups become too big would be pretty much impossible. The house size is perfect for them - they couldn't begin to imagine why 16 people couldn't enjoy staying there.

0-11 - that's something to work on. I have some doubts though. Not that they would be uninterested, just there's this strong "cheapest is best" line of thought, esp re food. I know feeding kids can be a real trial at times so I understand. But cheap and simple doesn't have to be boring & bland.

Anyway - I'll work on some alternative menu ideas, but I don't want to become the "Foreign Chef" to the hordes.

I need to win the Club Med prize so I've got a real excuse to change plans.

But that's being defeatist.

Be Happy \:\) \:\) \:\)

Thanks guys - been 2 days down the track now, so I've settled a bit and begun thinking about re-adjusting my pleasure meter for that time. Kinda crank it over to circus mode - lotsa clowns no whips.

But one thing I told my better half that's NOT negotiable is the bedroom. One room(biggish) has 2 beds, so the 3 of us will snaffle that. The other 13 can share the 2 tatami rooms.

Gotta be fair. ;\)

that reminds me once when I went scuba-diving mikomoto (Izu). We ended up with like 25 people in one tatami room. Nobody knew where they were supposed to sleep as well, so there was somebody opening up the door and peeking inside every 5 mins for most of the night... lol.gif Fond memories. My friends could not take it! They picked up their stuff and booked themselves in the nearest Onsen. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by snobee:
Thanks guys - been 2 days down the track now, so I've settled a bit and begun thinking about re-adjusting my pleasure meter for that time. Kinda crank it over to circus mode - lotsa clowns no whips.

But one thing I told my better half that's NOT negotiable is the bedroom. One room(biggish) has 2 beds, so the 3 of us will snaffle that. The other 13 can share the 2 tatami rooms.

Gotta be fair. ;\)
That sounds fair if you arranged the gig. Sounds like they might ask you to pay extra! It's only 5 days, and you'll boarding right?

God, I refused this Xmas to stay in a 6 bedroom house in OZ with just 16 people!

Maybe one of what you worry about is you never know who would really come, snobee?

If now you were in a situation to organize everything being responsible, I advice you to ask every family to sign up by themselves so that you can be sure who would come.

\:\)

Indo - No, the money side will be cool - won't be any extras. I guess it's just I'm fretting mainly about my diminished physical and mental space (privacy) and of course food.

And you're going to Adelaide for Xmas? Sun surf and Sharks? Should be fun. How long for?

Gam - I'm not really the Big manager, just I booked the house. If some don't come then that's fine with me - but everyone is pretty close and will surely go. I should suggest next time for us all to vist you ;\)

Miso - I think if I started collecting money I'd be officially taking on the role of MC.

Then they'd be waiting for my decision and direction all the time. Jeeez. Reminds me of when I first began BYO "Ozzie" BBQs here years ago. It took the folks quite a few times of coming before they really got it that no one is going to run around after them, serving drinks, food etc. Now they got it well & truly.

The ski group are a different bunch.