Well, am considering breaking down and getting internet but dont want to get a phone line. Got any suggestions? Just got told by my A/V dept that my downloading concerts has been basically banned...but will try to continue on the Q/T.

Dont want internet at home but want to download music...any suggestions? What internet do you use without a phone line?

Help!

I used to have high speed internet (48Megs) in Osaka without a phone, cost about 5,000 a month all up. Can't remember how it worked, but I didn't have to pay for a line. Just call up NTT and ask about their broadband options.

Alt. how about cable?

(I now have 1.5 for about 9.000 a month eek.gif and half the income!)

in Tokyo, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) has hikari-fiber. 100Mbs. No phone line needed. But it's only for the Tokyo region:

http://www.tepco.ne.jp/service/index.html

Another option could be AIR-EDGE or something similar. But the download speed is pretty slow, I think a max of 128Kbps:

http://www.gol.com/english/service/option/airh_1.html

Why don't you want a phone line? If it's cost then a lot of the ISP's will rent you a line as part of the package. (That might be what Miteyak had). I've seen ads for that kind of thing in Metropolis and the Japan Times. Also, you can buy second hand lines for less than 2 man these days.

If it's the phone you don't want then just don't plug a phone into it ;\)

I think those hikari fiber lines have quite high set up costs - we had something similar installed at work recently and it cost loads - but then maybe that was because it was for business use.

hmm, NTT'S B-Flets looks very similar to the TEPCO Hikari service, and more likely to be in your area. Check if you actually need a phone line or not. like me jane said, it is going to be more expensive than standard adsl though

http://www.odn.ne.jp/english/course/bflets/index.html

http://flets.com/

http://www.gol.com/english/service/ftth/fee.html

I thought that you could get a high speed internet connection without a phone line (just a wasted added expense that I dont want as I have a cell) or cable connection.

Thanks Miteyak, Me Jane and Montoya - Ill check those links youve provided.

Id like to keep it around 5000yen/month if possible.

I got connected with Tepco Hikari. All the light fibber connection providers in Tokyo, have a campaign for free installation to your room/house/apartment. You don’t need Landlords permission because they are not drilling any holes to the walls, they just pass the line through the air-condition hole. After that they have many options for the contract, but more or less it comes about 5000 yen per month.

You can also apply for IP phone, but I haven’t done it yet. It is ridiculously cheap though, so I think I will do it by next month.

Hey cheap ass, a phone line is only going to cost ya 2.8man and since ya going to be here for along time it aint that exy!

But NTT do charge ya just for having it every month... even if you don't use it.

Tsuondaboy,

Hows the Hikari? I am stepping up soon..

I have ADSL without a landline, it was easy the ADSL provider jacked it all up with NTT no worries. I pay 3746 a month

I just a got 'skype-in' phone number, people can call what apears to be a Manhattan number and my computer will ring - its sweet.

Whats the in number mean?

Is skype in from a land line?

I was going to suggest to Tsondaboy to get that (skype) instead of the IP phone as it usually cheaper if not free... though lines to mobiles sometimes suck.

Sunrise:

We use Skype for all our international calls. Still a bit dodgy to call online if the other end is halfway around the world and on a dial up line.

SnowGlider:

Isn't ADSL the same as a phone line?

Tsonda:

The IP phone (hikari denwa) is what we use. It's cut our phone bill from 30,000+ a month to under 10,000yen). In the old days you used to have to dial a code etc, but now it's just like a regular phone. One thing you need to check is to see if the IP phones can call an emergency number.

Yama:

If you're in a major center then have you thought of getting a wireless card for your computer.

Japanese do not seem to be security concious, and leave there networks open (esp. If the install them themselves).

Last time I was in Tokyo I was able to log on pretty much anywhere anytime.

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:

We use Skype for all our international calls. Still a bit dodgy call online if the other end is halfway around the world and on a dial up line.
I get fine connection to land lines in OZ. Sometimes if they or we have bad weather it is alittle dodgy. Mobile connection is not that great though.

My Skype to landline connections are usually pretty good. Occasionally I get a bad one, with delay, but it's sometimes way better next time I call. I make most of my domestic calls from Skype now, too.

I never had problems calling keitais either.

skype-in is a phone number that people on regular phones (mobile or landline) call and it connects to skype on your computer. The person calling pays whatever rates they would normally pay as for all intents and purposes they are calling a regular phone in a set location. For me my number is in Manhattan therefore aperson calling me from Manhattan would pay for a local call.

Ideally you get a skypein number for your hometown and your family friends can call you very cheaply.

NZ doesnt have any skype-in so I chose the USA as its the the cheapest country to call internationlly usualy plus if I do any business it appears I have legit USA phone number.

My ADSL provider is KCN - Kintetsu Cable Networks a big provider of cable and ADSL around Kintetsu train lines in Kansai.

My line is ADSL only though it runs through a landline it isnt a phoneline, I can not connect a phone to the socket and make calls, its purely ADSL - its a lot cheaper to setup and I have no dealings with NTT - KCN deal to all of it for me.

Something happened to my skype last week, whenever I connect to a call it crashes and shutsdown my whole computer, I cant rectfy it, bastard, looks like full reinstall of everything is on the cards.

Indosnm,

Hikari is a 100 Mbps connection in reality not in name. If ADSL line is busy it lowers your up/downstream speed, no such problems with the optical line.

I have also connected on the line the latest 100 Mbps wireless LAN rooter and I have 100 Mbps wireless connection everywhere in my house. I also saw yesterday in shinjuku, that tepko hikari connection is only 4000 yen/month.

Misorano,

I still haven’t applied for the IP phone. I am not calling a lot abroad, and when I do it I just use brastel. In general, even my cell-phone bill never came more than 10000 yen. What is Skype guys?