How many of you guys have been laid off as the result of restructuring or the closure of a company? I found out a few weeks ago that I will be laid off early next year. It has also been up to me to let all the people who work for me that they're up for the same thing.

Luckily most of them are not full time and it isn't such a big deal. Also, all of the full timers, myself included, have a pretty reasonable chance of continuing the same work directly with the current clients. Another upside is that I won't have to be ultimately responsible for the actions of employees or the representative of "the company" anymore. Not saying that this has always been negative by any means, but losing the responsibility will be somewhat liberating.

Not all bad really-I just hope it works out well for everyone involved. Can't say I enjoy telling people they've lost their jobs even though being in the same boat makes it easier to tell them.

So how did getting laid off go for you?

That sucks - at least its still early enough in the game to find a good job for next year. If you want me to keep an ear out for hs/jhs lemme know.

I dont understand why people would want to work for an Eikaiwa 5 days a week and no vacation. HS/jhs/uni is def the way to go. Esp when you get 4 months paid vacation a year cool.gif

Sorry to hear that Davo. I have never been in that situation but had a friend back home who was. They only got a few weeks notice, and it was a really stressful time.

Sorry to hear that Davo but anyway you got a notice for it enough in advance. You can find anything you like, can't you?

I personally have never gotten laid off yet. When I quit a job, it has been always me starting saying I wanna quit. Maybe I have a tendency easily get tired with one thing, not sure.

wakaranai.gif

I'm sure it's not all bad. At least you got a chance to think about your life again?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:

Esp when you get 4 months paid vacation a year cool.gif

I want one!!

Severance package lol.gif lol.gif confused.gif \:\(

Sorry Misorano-conditions were no that great to begin with. It's basically a semi-full time one year contract only, which makes it easy to get rid of people.

You may have a point about the eikiewas Yama and I do envy you your vacations. However, these days I can only enjoy certain types of teaching. I wouldn't be able to handle a school environment. Aside from motivated privates I only teach "in company" to people who need English for their work. I guess I'm kind of spoilt in that regard.

Thanks for your concern guys.

Thats true mate. I have many friends who say they envy my position but dont wanna teach kids whatsoever. I enjoy both - its just that I value my free time more than anything; thats why I work for a private hs/jhs...wanna get to Uni in a few years though \:\)

Davo:

Reason I asked was that when I quit my job at a Priv. HS they tried to stiff me out of the retirement pay.

Went through the Labor dept. etc and wound up in court. They ended up settling.

Sounds like you have it good though. Esp. if you are keeping the clients as privates. Enjoy the freedom \:\)

Funny language English. Adding "off" totally changes the meaning doesn't it.

Bad luck mate, but it could be a blessing in disguise, especially if you are able to keep most of the work as privates.

I have had experiences at 2 HS's. 1 was a hellhole, this one now, is like heaven!

Ya really have to be lucky with the draw. Some AET's are made to come to school everyday in summer when other AET's at other schools are OS on holiday coz their schools said don't come in!

Ya just go to be lucky!

Thanks again guys. For some reason I'm not really worried. This is probably because I have other things going on, including starting a business with a friend. Those 4 month off gigs sound pretty good. I've been pretty stoked to have 20 days plus public/company holidays this year.

FT, the company is doing alright I think. They've just decided that they can do better without us, despite the fact that we were/are not losing them money. Whatever, I'm happy with what has been achieved since I've been doing the job. The crappiest part is letting down all the good people that work for us, as well as the clients that rely on us.

Davo - unless you love money then hey, its only a job. I Hope it doesnt stuff your family around, that is the main thing.

Seems like a good chance for you to do a working season with your friend in Chamonix! Mrs Davo and Davo Jr. should be happy with that.

No we'll adapt just fine. Unfortunately the adaption will never land me a seasion on the slopes. Too inaka and too samuui! for the chief. Maybe I'll send her back to work and stay home with the bubba. Then I can sneak off to the mountains in the weekend while she makes up for missing out on the baby all week.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
Indo, youre at a HS too? Thought you just had your own eikaiwa? confused.gif
I do mate, but on 2 mornings a week I am free, was offered the gig, wasn't interested , heard the pay and got interested..! makes me damn busy but hey it goes into my "exit japan" portfolio!