On lots of official documents (and close to mind when you're getting a visa renewal and those lovely useful re-entry permits), I never really understand the point of the stupid stamps you have to buy. Is there a point that I'm missing?

Well, they're to pay the salaries of the people that shuffle and mark your papers, and to cover the cost of their polyester clothing, and the electricity of the little pole that lights up with the number on it. For all those good things, is 6,000 yen really a lot to pay?

I don't think so. Your opinion that they are "stupid stamps" is pretty accuratate, I would say. I will never forget the first time the immigration people told me that in order to pay for my visa renewal I'd have to go find a post office and buy a stamp. They even politely provided me with a map to find a post office. I stood there a minute in disbelief looking into her "what? isn't this perfectly natural?" face before heading off to find a post office to buy a stamp.

If there is a point, I'm missing it too!

It's literally another form of currency. "Uh, this IS Japan but your yen is no good here, we only take STAMPS...be a sport and go exchange your yen for a STAMP of equivalent value." wakaranai.gif

"Oh, and we will be closed from 12 to 1 because we all eat lunch at the same time. We haven't figured out a more efficient way yet. Thank you!"