Have you ever seen them?

In Japan, the number of fireflies were decreasing several years ago but some people worked hard to keep river clean and seems like they come back recently. If you know the spot you can see Genji-Botaru or Heike-Botaru around your place, please let me know.

I heard that Genji-Botaru has stronger light and more misteryous.

Thank you in advance!!

Down the hill from my house you can see lots. They reminded me of when I faceplanted on a Segway - lots of little lights around my head.

Fireflies are nice insomuch as they show that rivers are cleaner, but they're not really worth getting in a car to go and see...

Sounds nice, Ocean!! Until when can you see them? I heard Genji-Botaru in June and Heike-Botaru in July.

I'm looking for a spot along the Tama river I can get there by my bike. I'm sure it exists but can't get the information on the web. Maybe go and ask local people is the best way.

I think you can only see them for about a week, but I haven't been down near that river for about two weeks so I'm not absolutely sure. I'm told they 'go to bed' around 8pm too, so the opportunities for seeing them are really very limited.

People around here have been working very hard to clean up the rivers and restock them with larvae. It's good to see it paying off.

Yeah, slow I am ready to see them soon here. Usually from the top to middle of July. In Tatsuno town, they have fireworks festival usually at the last of June there.

Illusonary and mysterious.

Hi gamera,

Thanks for the information about Tatsuno towm. It looks like many fireflies there.

I found a spot around Kumanoyu in Shigakogen, too. This spot, you can see fireflies untill September!! but end of July is the best time to go. So, I can go there after coming back from California!!

contesthotaru2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...