Hi guys,

I want to go skiing in Japan and can only go End of March to early April.

Would you recommend:

1- ...to totally avoid! there is only slush left

2- ...not to hesitate!

3- ...some selected resorts where the conditions should be pretty good still

Grazie Mille!

Olivier de Hong Kong

I'm no expert, but I went to Niseko 2 years ago in end of March/beiginning of April. The conditions varied from quite good to hard and icy to slushy, depending on the time of day, the weather and the part of the mountain.

Last year I went to Arai in late April and it was 15C (quite warm) and rainy, but the snow quality was surprisingly good, not slushy at all.

I had a great time in both sorties and will be going again this Easter, this time to Kiroro.

Don't expect any powder though!

Hate to say it, but I think most places will be about done the middle of March this year. Just not enough snowpack and the weather is warming up quite a bit already. It has definitely been an all around below average season for Japan.

Hi, I'm Japanese. That depends on where you go.

Hokkaido region will keep good condition even in early April. It needs 1.5 hour flight from Tokyo.

Around Tokyo, I can reccomend some resorts, such as Mitsumata-Kagura (someone already commented), Shiga-Kogen, Myoko, Nozawa and so on. They must have plenty snow but it must be pretty wet.

Enderzero, how much are they paying you to sabotage the tourist industry of Japan for Easter. Last year, I let you talk me into shortening my ski trip to Arai to just one day on the snow! I regret that.

It's easy for you to say the conditions aren't good in April, but for people like me, who don't stay in snowland and can't go every weekend, that's better than nothing.

Anyway, my sortie to Kiroro this Easter is bought and fully paid for and I'm going even if I'll be sliding down grass!

The problem is that when it gets to April, it of course depends on the weather of the moment. Last year (?) tons of places were finished by then because of little snow in Feb and later on.

But places up high will more than likely be more than ok. End of March certainly no problem.

I can't speak for anything down south of Shizukuishi (northern Iwate), but any of the bigger resorts up in upper Iwate and Aomori (and certainly Hokkaido) should be just fine at the end of March. Even though the lower elevations aren't doing so well this year, the mountains are having a pretty good season. There is more snow at say, Hakkoda right now, than there was at this time in the last two seasons. Last year one of the biggest blizzards of the season to hit happened around March 10th and we still got some snow down to sea level on April 5th (I remember cause it is my bday)

You will be just fine coming out then. If you're lucky, you may be able to catch some good powder days even (although it will be a bit heavier).

I'm confused about Enders post, actually. This season, although late in starting, has dumped a lot of snow, and most resorts seem to be posting above average snow depths...

This is my nineth season here, and although lower elevations aren't fairing so well, the season higher up is a good one.

The second half of February has often given the impression of an early thaw, only to give way to a very cold early March.

I have definitely skied powder, in Hakuba, in April. No real signs yet that this year won't offer the same. late March, no worries, just go high or go North.