Inspection of English language school operators

This mail is circulating round friends. Not sure who wrote it, but thought I'd post anyway:

Hundreds of English schools probed over foreigner benefits exploitation

Government inspectors have begun a nationwide inspection of about 750 operators of mostly English language schools amid speculation that it has become standard practice not to enroll foreign teachers in social insurance programs.

Anybody working 30 or more hours a week for more than two months is obliged under Japanese law to have health insurance and enroll in a pension plan, but the Social Insurance Agency says that many foreigners are being forced to pay full charges for medical care because their employers do not offer them coverage.

In June last year, the agency decided it would focus its inspections on organizations employing many foreign workers.

Then, in March, members of the General Union, a labor union formed mostly by foreign teachers, held a news conference saying that Nova, the country's biggest employer of foreign language teachers, had not enrolled its foreign staff in social insurance programs. The claims prompted the agency to embark on an investigation into the industry's employment practices.

There are believed to be somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 foreign language teachers throughout Japan.

The agency will force teachers to enroll in social insurance programs if they are supposed to have done so but have not yet joined.

the national scheme sucks and im glad I got out of being on it.

Its expensive and only covers 70% of the cost - so if you do yourself in good you are still gonna get a huge bill.

5 minutes on the internet will find you 100% cover for a fraction of the cost.

I'm certainly not enrolled (I'm not an English teacher either) but I looked at the cost/benefits of the National system and decided no way in hell I was going to take part. I'd rather be deported.

Captain Stag, you are probably talking about the Nat'l health insurance plan, right? I think we are legally supposed to be a part of that too (?). It sucks indeed (but is admittedly much better than that of the U.S.). I use a NZ insurance company and save tons of money.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do like I do. I'm just stating that if I gave in and particpated it would be tantamount to throwing money out the window as I speed along the kosoku highway. I should add that this disclaimer is aimed at those who got mad at me when I stated that I also don't have a Japanese drivers license (even though I have a legal international license.) ;\)

National Health Insurance isn't too bad if you have a family, (depends on how good an accountant you have ;\) )though the 70% cover is a rip off.

I am told that all Japanese people must join the Nat health insurance but us gaijin don't have to, as long as we have other cover.

I tried to get my wife on the other private ins. offered to gaijins here in Japan but couldn't get it. I would like to hear if anyone has been able to get their J wife on a private policy.

Kintaro, you missed the whole point with that licence issue!

Indosnm, my coverage (NZ based co./with global offices) told me they would allow my J-wife (and children if I had) to be covered. She hasn't converted though as her mother preaches a staunch loyalty to the J-system. However, I love my insurance co. They have always covered me well without any hassle.

My insurance co. is located at www.interglobal-nz.biz

Regarding the licence, the point is moot. We just dissagree. It's OK.

Actually went to enquire about the National Health scheme at local town hall not so long ago. Not a bad system and covers most things BUT couldn`t believe it when they asked me to pay for the last two and half years I have been here as a back payment!!!! mad.gif wakaranai.gif They wanted me to pay for something I have never used, could never use?!?!?!?! Plus this years, so was looking at a ridiculously extortinate amount of money. I ended up walking out after a bit of an argument and am now happy and dandy with interglobal too same as Kintaro, by far a better option.

NOVA are cunning rats, to avoid enrolling its "teachers" they designated the time between lessons as "off the clock" free time and not official work time. Over the day that saves an hour and a half and over a week it adds up to be enough that you dont reach the thresholdof 30 to be a full time worker and therefore dont have to pay into the shakai hoken.

sneaky.

My wife is on Kokuminkenkou hoken - Health Insurance for those without work and payes about 2000 a month.

I have private insurance.

I pay about $1,200 US for a year of their "premium coverage." In most cases there are no deductibles, they pay 100%. They also do translation work for you for free if you do end up in a hospital (I did). The coverage also comes with travel, dental, life and more insurance.

Disclaimer: I don't work for the company, just really like them!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Disclaimer: I don't work for the company, just really like them!
kinda digressing from topic but back regarding the drivers license in Japan thread, I think that the only people who are exempt from having to get a J-license here are US servicemen. U must be in the military?? No? confused.gif

Yamakashi, no, I'm not military nor have I ever been. I'd assume military people have US govt insurance.

Regarding the J-license I just think the international license covenent among participation nations, of which Japan is, supersedes Japanese law. I've had J-police tell me the same. But like I said, I'm not encouraging others to do as I do, I'm just simply enjoying the benefits of saving money and remaining outside of the driving "point system." I've even double checked with my insurance and they assured me my int'l license is perfectly legal.

There seems to be so much vagueness on this kind of stuff. Look at issue of paying pension and taxes as well. Is there nowhere that has all this written down in English, like the final word on it all?