• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im surprised nobody has touched on the marmite vs vegemite debate..

ive pledged allegiance to marmite,

vegemite just doesnt cut it in my view

infact vegemite disgusts me,

and how about those people who claim theres no difference between the two?!? confused.gif

are there any truly devoted marmite/vegemite eaters out there?

I've sort of crossed over from allegiance to Marmite to the Vegemite camp.

First time I had Vegemite I thought 'What is this Australian sh!t?!', but then an English friend brought me back a large jar from a visit to the 'prison island' and I came to like it. Marmite seems a bit harsh in comparison. So there's definitely a difference between the two. Hell, anybody who says there isn't should go to the Yeast Extract Inquisition for some probing questioning.

But I'm happy to get my hands on either.

I found a visit to this site very rewarding;

http://www.vegemite.com.au

How Dare ya DIS VEGIMITE!?

its the boom... only an real Aussie would appreciate the Vegimite!!

ya just cant go past hot toast nice and crunchy on the out side and soft in the middle with margarine melted all over the top with vegimite spread over the margarine!

oohhh... thats it im going to have some TOAST!

Despite the name Vegemite little to do with vegetables. Marmite is a similar thing as well, just with a different name. Kinda like Coca Cola and Pepsi - similar product, different taste.

Vegemite is a "concentrated yeast extract". The main ingredients are yeast extract and several salts. There is also some vegetable extract, but i dont think its that much.

Hope this helps to clarify what Vegemite is!!

Cheers

When I was a kid I seem to remember Vegemite being viewed as a kind of Marmite for softies who couldn't hack the kick of the real thing. I like both but prefer Vegimite these days and if that make me a softie then so be it. I have heard similar amusing stories from japanese friends of their first encounter with these delicious foods. Both mistook it for a kind of nuttella chocholate thingy-spread it on thick & UUMMM chotto chigau ne! Right-I'm off to have some Vegimite on rye crackers then.