Yuzawa, Shiozawa, Muikamachi to be renamed Yukiguni-shi??

I heard when I was in Yuzawa that the 3 towns in the area are going to join up and become an official city called Yukiguni-shi (Snow Country City??). Does anyone know if that is true or if it was just a joke?

Hi Cal

What you heard was partly right. The towns of Shiozawa, Muikamachi and Yamato are in discussions to become a "city" and moving ahead, while Yuzawa is seem to be dragging it's feet a bit on the issue.

Why? Well the first three are nowhere near as wealthy as Yuzawa and they will benefit more from the alliance. If they become a city, there will be much more financial support from the government than at present.

The "city" it seems would actually be called "Yukiguni-shi" (!), and the current Minamiuonuma-gun would disappear.

Quite how it would work out without Yuzawa remains to be seen, but rumor has it that Yuzawa would also eventually join....

Jon

Until about forty (?) years ago, there was no such place as Hakuba-mura. The "village" came about through the merger of Kamishiro (the area near Goryu) and, err, the more northerly bit whose name escapes me. One place near the south-west border of Nagano where all the kids go to school in Gifu is currently trying to secede from Nagano ken, so they've been on the news of late.

Is that the part of Niigata where Kawabata's book is based, or is it just an even more blatant ploy to get tourists in ?

Thanks Jon ! Interesting to hear. My cynicism was unwarranted in this case.

Given that there are some wild place names in Japan (and in other countries too, of course), it doesn't sound that bad to me. It also avoids the problem of all three villages fighting to have their kanji in there somewhere. Most Japanese place names sound terrible in English, especially when you adopt the Japanese bureaucratic custom of sticking a City, Town or Village on every name. It's not "Los Angeles-City" or "Sydney-City" is it?

No problem NoFakie.

Although of course they do intend to play up the Snow Country deal - more funds from the govt and the publicity that will follow etc etc.

The Yuzawa in or out situation is an interesting one, and the town is currently agonising over it by all accounts.

NoFakie, that was the bane of my life when I was teaching English to civil servants - trying to get them not to say 'Hi, I'm Hiko from Oimo Town'.

Yukiguni City is going to be even worse as it has two geographical items, 'country' and 'city'. Maybe it'll be just like Ho Chi Minh City, still known to most people as Saigon.

Jon, the book actually goes like this; "The train came out of the tunnel into the snow country and immediately bogged down in minutely observed trivia. Nobody went snowboarding. Everybody was bored and vaguely unhappy. The lid of the kettle rattled as it boiled on the station stove." And that's as far as I got before I started reading something better.

I preferred the other Nobel Prize winning book where they broke the fat boy's glasses and carried a pig's head around on a stick.

I've never been to that area, any good?

Just not convenient from down here in Kansai. Nagano is much better for us. Just kind of wondering if it was worth taking a trip, maybe next season.

I've never been impressed with that region of Niigata the 4 or 5 times I have been there. For me Myoko/Arai wins out easily compared with Yuzawa. Yuzawa wins over so many people mainly because of how easy it is to get to from Tokyo.

• 5 months later...