Summer - those irritating noises are in full force...

Not actually a noise, but I don't like those closeups of terminal athelete's foot while I'm eating my dinner. Nobody has it that bad do they...? (Actually, seeing those salarymen getting about in clumpy black shoes in the height of summer, I suppose it's possible.)

The cicadas or whatever they are have started chirruping in the woods behind my house, and they don't help the concentration much.

Second only to the over the top exclamations of UUUMMMAAii, SSSSSUUUUGGGoooIII and ooooIIISSHHiiii !!! from every talentless tarento as they eat whatever dish thats put in front of them. Being lame is obviously the hallmark for excellence in this celebrity circus.

They most certainly are annoying. The question is WHY? Is that sound attractive in any way.

Have you seen that ad where theres a bloke boiling the kettle and then eating his miso soup as fast and noisily as he can, with a big AAAHHHHHHHH at the end of it. Can't stand that one.

Is that the same series as the one where he eats his soup while the phone rings? Now that one really bugs me. In our house, it's always accompanied by shouts of "Answer the f@@cking phone, you pig!!"

My little boy got the impression from TV advertising that it was normal to slap your lips and say 'AAAAAHH' and pucker your face up like you've been kicked in the nuts everytime you drink something. That took some sorting out.

I HATE that, to the point where I just can't listen to it. My quick "remote control MUTE grab" move is called for whenever that comes on.

I never knew that eating could look so painful.

Those noises are really annoying aren't they? Do Japanese actually LIKE those sounds? Makes the drink sound delicious I suppose (??)

Those horrible slurping commercials are for Nagatanien instant miso soup and ochatsuke. Apparently the bloke in the original ads is a stand-in who was working on the crew when the actor didn't show up. I know a couple of guys that say they have arguments with their (Japanese) wives every time those ads come on. Some women think its very manly.

A kid died the other week in a fast eating contest, so hopefully we'll see less of them from now on. They've taken the Kinnuku Bansuke obstacle race program (with the guy (Kein Kosugi) off the Lipovitan D "Fai-too Ipppattssu!" ads) off the TV due to the high incidence of injuries, and eating contests should be next if you ask me.

In a survey a few years ago, women were asked when their man was at his sexiest. A large percentage responded "When he's just lit up a cigarette". So there you go. Slurp soup, smoke tabs, get stomach cancer and lung cancer, and pull lotsa Japanese womens before you go.

• 1 month later...

lin...loud swallowing noises.

In Japan CM's on the TV, they seem to like to amplify the noise throaty gulping noice. It seems to sell products. For some reason.

Thats what we're talking 'bout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...