tin machine. but anyway, notebooks

Just how much competition is there really in the PC market? Same platform, same chips (gurai). All it does is push the price down a little.

The mac/PC debate is based on how the processor works, isn't it? The mac system is more efficient, but the better marketing of PC's (competition, economies of scale, large market share, software availability) has pushed them forward, keeping the end result pretty much the same.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, a lot has happened since i last looked!

going back a few (or ten) posts...

i use OSX and its really pretty and i've never had any problems .. sometimes limewire doesnt want to shut down and i have to force quit, but that's pretty easy and so not a big deal.. and i think the problem is limewire sucking and not OSX..

my iPod is the 5 gig size. when i bought it i thought.. why would anyone want a bigger one??? isnt 70 albums enough? but then i got it and after a few weeks filled it up and realized that i still had a stack of cds i wanted to add... that was a little sad, but i'm over it now. i love it and its so awesome.

and finally..

i dont hate PCs at all. i love them. i just love my mac so much more because after years of pc using now i'm using a machine that's so much more sensible. and its prettier.

!!

la miff

5 days to work... one whole day to play.. come on everybody wear your rollerskates today..

enderzero - multi-button mouse? Who cares!! :p

I want an iPod so badly!!!! I'm so jealous!! Do you mind if i ask how much they are over there??

I have the odd prob with LimeWire as well. Mine just quits it self and display's an error. It's a very buggy program.

meh you never use the "middle" button on those gay 3 button mice anyways! whats the point....

Miff, im glad to see that the prettieness was a factor in your choice!

how much nicer are they fully!

mmm... i might invest in an ipod i'd love one but at the mo the flight to japan is more important!

you in OSX or OSX.2??

I'd be completely lost without my wheelie mouse. You try editing a document without that when you've been used to it... Or try scrolling through this Forum without it... It would be like not having any thumbs.

No, Steve Jobs may have saved himself the trouble of thinking what to put on in the morning, but he certainly isn't using that extra time to consider mice.

with macs you tend not to used your mouse to much theres no going back and forth between mouse and keyboard.... as for you wheel, what bout your page up and page down or your arrow keys i asure you, that you could a-climatise your self to use them if you really wanted too!!!

MAC v PC is like the argument with CHRISTIAN v SATAN (or somoen that dsont believe in "god!")

its a never ending battle!

as for me im a MAC SATAN!

i dont dis pc's and i dont dis christians!

I got a Gateway Solo (something). For conventional use its great but once I started putting Japanese software in it the thing started crashing all the time. Took out the software and now it works fine again. I heard that any software thats not made by Gateway wont work with a Gateway computer. Anybody heard that or have any advice? Especially, Id like to get a Japanese computer so I dont have to worry about adding any Japanese (translation) software. If you have a Japanese computer let me know what you have and why its good. I was looking at a Vaio myself...

yo yuki...

I got a vaio srx7/pb...I love it...

cost me a fourtune...

it really met and exceeded my expectations for what portable computing should be (so far)...

built in wireless lan/bluetooth/and all the other standards...plenty of power to boot (PIII 900MHz)...light/thin/compact, but the screen is absolutely amazing and easy to read...

tons of software included, although I haven't gotten to play around with most of it yet...seems user friendly, but my main problem is my lack of kanjii skills...but I'm learning...

admittingly, I just got and had not time to really use it much (work is kicking my behind these days)...but another friend with last years model swears by it....

happy hunting...

danz

I have a flat panel iMac running OSX, an old style iBook running OS9 and a PC running W2000.

The iMac is one hell of a machine.

I have actually managed to set up a little LAN in my study at home. Three different OS's all linked and sharing one printer and internet connection! (I became quite a nerd when I arrived in Tokyo as I had nothing to do so I turned to my computers for entertainment, hence the LAN setup).

I am not that serious about my DVD making so I just use iMovie that ships with the OS. It is pretty basic but all I am about is cutting scenes and putting them in the order that i want, add some music etc.

I just love the way I can plug my video camera into the machine, upload the footage and burn the disk. It is so easy.

Once again, a great machine.

Y's_P, Gateway doesn't make software so any software compatible with Windows PCs should work with your PC. Are you running Windows XP? Did you download the Japanese IME (input method emulator) from Microsoft? This will allow you to switch between typing in English and Nihongo (With full Kanji and Kana support). It is pretty slick.

Let me know more about your particular problem.

My set up at home (I have 3 roommates): We have 6 PCs in a room downstairs we use mainly for everyday computing and for gaming. 1 for each of us, one hooked to a TV for watching cartoons and movies we download (Simpsons, Space Ghost, etc) and one for guests. We have 802.11b wireless in the house. 1 desktop PC upstairs and I have a notebook. My desktop is a AMD 2100+. My Notebook is an Acer P4 1.7M with a 15" LCD, CDRW/DVD, Built in 802, 1394, and more. It also has a 4 way scroll button and 2 mouse buttons! I use my notebbok from my couch for most of my computing, especially web browsing, email, and forum reading.

Plus we have the equivalent of about a dozen PCs worth of old parts in another room. I am planning on slimming down to just my notebook before coming to Japan. I think It'll be hard work.